How often do you have to re-calibrate your refractometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On my last brew day I checked and re-calibrated my refractometer before starting the mash. (I adjust it before every brew) I then thought my OG was low at 1.046 instead of the predicted 1.053 so I checked and it was off again. I re-calibrated and took another sample and got 1.052. Quite a difference.

Is it normal to have to re-calibrate this often?

I'm in a warmer climate so I tend to recalibrate with distilled water before every reading. Only takes a few seconds and gives me confidence in the reading.

I do it every two weeks or so, depending on how much I brew. Suprisingly, I've never really had to make any adjustments which is nice, maybe a tiny turn or so

Often it will vary by the amount you have mentioned between readings just based on temperature. You can often take readings from the same pipette 5 minutes apart and get the kind of variance mentioned above.
but distilled water at room temp should be done periodically to calibrate.

Due to changing temps throughout the day in the garage, I calibrate before nearly every reading. As mentioned previously, it only takes a few seconds.

Back