Help on wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attitude

Reaction score
Has anyone wired up a Johnson Controls A19ABC-24 temperature control to a chest freezer? I don't know a thing about this stuff. Thanks for any help

Nope, but I could tell you the improper way to wire in a Ranco; and then the correct way :eek:. Got any online schematics?

Easy. Break the powerline in the chest freezer and attach to the Y and R terminals. These are open on low temp, close on high temp. That is, they connect the freezer back to the power source when the temp hits you upper limit.

http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/CAT_PDF/1927010.pdf

I talk a little about how I wired mine (not the exact model) in the part 1B video in my sig.

Note, if you want to use the controller for heating in the winter, you can use the other terminal since it's a close on low.

This doesn't help me much as an "electrically challenged" person. I just won the same model on ebay assuming it was wired. I don't even know where to start. I got the thing open, but I imagine I need to buy another part so that I can plug the fridge in.

But then how do I get from the temp. control to the wall? I've wired an electric outlet before, so I know what the 3 different wires do, but have no idea on the names or letters associated for each wire. I essentially indentify them by color.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please limit the techy language. Better to begin post with "look moron, you take the black wire..."

Thanks,

Frank

Look moron, you take the black wire and... Sorry couldnt resist :)

Seriously though, open up the the cable going to the fridge and see if they are black, white, and green. If so cut the black wire and tie the plug side of the cable to terminal Y of the controller. Then take the other side of the wire comming from the fridge and wire it to the R terminal of the controller. You may have to splice in some extra lengths of black wire to get enough room.

If you dont have black, white, and green then find the wire going to the skinny terminal of the plug, If you are looking at the plug with the pins facing towards you and the ground pin on the bottom it will be the one on the left.

I hope that clears it up for yah!

The easiest way is to find the thermostat on the frige/freezer, unplug the two wires atatched to it and wire them into Y and R terminals. mount the control on the frige/freezer, not the wall. Make sure unit is unpluged first. Drill a hole through the wall of the unit, being careful not to hit any refrigeration tubing or existing wiring, and insert prbe into interior of unit.

When I wired my controller I didn't cut the power cord to the freezer.

Instead, I wired the controller with an extension cord. I just plug the cord into the wall and freezer into the cord. Works the same way.

This way I can move the controller if I want to and haven't permanently modified my freezer.

Thanks everyone.

brloomis,
your way sounds the most practical but I'm still a little unclear. Does this mean you take an extension cord, cut it in half, and then wire the Johnson between the male and female ends:

fridge >female end ext. cord > temp. controller > male end ext. cord > wall

???

I'm really sorry, I feel like an idiot. Does someone have pictures?

Frank

Ask and ye shall receive!

freezertempcontrollervw1.jpg

Hope that helps!

Hey man, dont feel bad about asking. 110VAC can really put the smack down on yah if you're careless. Its good to be sure of what you are doing

Latest posts

Back