Getting a handle on pipeline/brewing schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
As a newish brewer This site has been a wealth of info. Thanks everyone.

Not a lot of posts about brewing schedules and pipeline so I thought I would share my thoughts. It has taken me a while to figure out just how often and more importantly what to brew to keep up a good pipeline. When I first started I was so excited, that I was trying a lot of different recipes, but a couple of times my supply was thrown off because I ended up with brews that were not everyday beers, and actually had to go out and buy some beer.That is when I figured out that I have to put some thought into how often and what to brew.

So this is what I have figured out that works for me.

I like to always have on hand:

An IPA/APA. Those are usually my go to beers for most days. So I figured out the every other time I brew it should be one of those to keep the supply up.

Second I liketo have an Amber Ale around. Something similar to a Bell's Amber. Not an everyday beer for me but I really enjoy them, and drink them often enough that there should always be some around.

Third it is nice to have a wheat beer in the supply line also. I don't like to drink them, all of the time but like to drink them enough that I know I have to keep some around. Plus my wife likes them.

As the weather cools I also figure that I should have a stout around. I like those in the fall and winter, so I need to put them in the schedule so they are ready by fall.

The other thing I have figured out is that I like to have some brews that are not something I would drink often but like to have around. I consider them special occasion beers. So I bought extra fermenters to brew some beers that are not everyday beers.

A good Saison is nice to have around. I have done two and they are great.

Belgian beers are very good and I have just brewed one so I can keep some in the supply line, but at 9% not something I would drink very often. But I know that I have to brew one occasionally so I always have one or two around.

I also am interested in experimenting with some other styles so I may use my 5 gallon carboys for experimental brews. I very rarely secondary so the 2 carboys are not getting use. They are perfect for 4 gallon batches.

This is a great hobby/obsession that has the benefits of being able to drink your own beer.:mug:

I think another important thing to consider is season beers. For example a spiced Christams Ale may need to be brewed in January of the year you plan on drinking or gifting. Same can be said for some sort of a winter warmer.

I like you love IPA's so I am always trying to keep those on hand.

I figure out what style I want and when and then back into the brew date.

Also, you need to account for a really big beer that may take some time to age. While aging you need to have other beers lined up to fill in the gapo created by a long age. I ran into this problem early this year when th stout I brewed I realized would need a long ferment and even longer conditioning.

As a newish brewer This site has been a wealth of info. Thanks everyone.

Not a lot of posts about brewing schedules and pipeline so I thought I would share my thoughts. It has taken me a while to figure out just how often and more importantly what to brew to keep up a good pipeline. When I first started I was so excited, that I was trying a lot of different recipes, but a couple of times my supply was thrown off because I ended up with brews that were not everyday beers, and actually had to go out and buy some beer.That is when I figured out that I have to put some thought into how often and what to brew.

So this is what I have figured out that works for me.

I like to always have on hand:

An IPA/APA. Those are usually my go to beers for most days. So I figured out the every other time I brew it should be one of those to keep the supply up.

Second I liketo have an Amber Ale around. Something similar to a Bell's Amber. Not an everyday beer for me but I really enjoy them, and drink them often enough that there should always be some around.

Third it is nice to have a wheat beer in the supply line also. I don't like to drink them, all of the time but like to drink them enough that I know I have to keep some around. Plus my wife likes them.

As the weather cools I also figure that I should have a stout around. I like those in the fall and winter, so I need to put them in the schedule so they are ready by fall.

The other thing I have figured out is that I like to have some brews that are not something I would drink often but like to have around. I consider them special occasion beers. So I bought extra fermenters to brew some beers that are not everyday beers.

A good Saison is nice to have around. I have done two and they are great.

Belgian beers are very good and I have just brewed one so I can keep some in the supply line, but at 9% not something I would drink very often. But I know that I have to brew one occasionally so I always have one or two around.

I also am interested in experimenting with some other styles so I may use my 5 gallon carboys for experimental brews. I very rarely secondary so the 2 carboys are not getting use. They are perfect for 4 gallon batches.

This is a great hobby/obsession that has the benefits of being able to drink your own beer.:mug:

So you basically always have one or two "around" of each style? Even though that is not very specific as far as schedules/pipeline goes, I like it! :mug:

So you basically always have one or two "around" of each style? Even though that is not very specific as far as schedules/pipeline goes, I like it!

I like to keep it simple. It just took me a while to figure out my needs. I am not anal enough to do a spread sheet and plan thing out way in advance but I know that if I brew the styles I like to always have around soon enough I don't run out of them.

The other styles are just icing on the cake and get brewed at times, or in extra fermenters so they don't interupt my pipeline.

I think it is just something that every new brewer has to figure out for themself. Nothing worse than running out of a homebrew style that you like to drink.

I think it is just something that every new brewer has to figure out for themself. Nothing worse than running out of a homebrew style that you like to drink.

Agreed! You need to figure out what styles you like and plan accordingly. For instance, if you simply like wits and pale ales, you can bang those out on a fairly consistant basis (4 weeks grain to glass if kegging), turning over primaries quickly. If you like RIS and Barleywines, be prepared to buy extra fermentors and/or carboys for the long haul as they will need for conditioning.

Me, I have five 7 gallon buckets, a few 5 gallons, 5 corney kegs, and 1 5 gal glass carboy. My aim is to keep at least 4 buckets, 3 corneys, and the carboy full at any given time. I give alot of beer away and that seems to be the only way I can keep production=consumption. Carboy is for special beers and/or wine. I may need to get some more of those.

Agreed! You need to figure out what styles you like and plan accordingly. For instance, if you simply like wits and pale ales, you can bang those out on a fairly consistant basis (4 weeks grain to glass if kegging), turning over primaries quickly. If you like RIS and Barleywines, be prepared to buy extra fermentors and/or carboys for the long haul as they will need for conditioning.

Me, I have five 7 gallon buckets, a few 5 gallons, 5 corney kegs, and 1 5 gal glass carboy. My aim is to keep at least 4 buckets, 3 corneys, and the carboy full at any given time. I give alot of beer away and that seems to be the only way I can keep production=consumption. Carboy is for special beers and/or wine. I may need to get some more of those.

I have dedicated three fermenters to the normal brews, pale ales, amber ales and wheats. That way I can brew often to keep the regular brews in stock.

I also have two ferenters that I am using for long term beers, and have a couple of carboys that I can rack beers to if I need to. Seems to be working really well for me.:mug:

How many beer bottles/kegs do you have?

I have the following:

Six 5g corney kegs
One 3g corney keg
Two 2.5g corney kegs
Thirteen cases of 12oz bottles (312)
Seven buckets
Two carboys (glass/plastic)
Two 8.9cf chest freezers (fermenters)

And that's not nearly as much as a lot of folks here on HBT have.

Back