Berliner Weisse Primary Ferm. Sequence Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benway

Reaction score
Attempting a Berliner Weisse for the first time. So far so good as it looks like the temps are good and the O.G. is on target.

I hopped the mash with .5 oz of 4.5 Hallertau and did a 15 min boil using .25 oz of 4.5 Hallertau.

I pitched and aerated the Lacto into the Primary and the European Ale yeast is going on its second day of a 1 quart starter. I've read that to get more souring, it's ok to give the Lacto a head start before pitching the yeast. So that's what I'm doing, but it feels odd.

Anyone else have anecdotal experience/suggestions? Any idea of how long to wait to pitch the yeast?

Thanks!

24 hours is enough. Lacto is anerobic and doesn't like oxygen, so you might want to pitch sooner rather than later so that the O2 gets used up and the beer with the co2 can allow the lacto to do its thing. I have one that I just did up a week ago and it is slowly souring with the lacto.

Back