All the free malting barley I want.. But how to malt it??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys..

I have access to all the free 2 row malting barley I want (Harrington and Klages).. I have a buddy who is the head of the Barley Breeding program at Washington State University who said he could plant me a whole field if I wanted it.. (Lucky me, I also have friends in the hop industry who hook me up pretty good)... Obviously all that free malting barley would be cool and save me ton of money but does anyone have any experience malting barley at home? I read a BYO article a while back that explains it, but the process seems tedious and complex.. So I was just curious if anyone has any experience/methods with this and can tell me if it's even worth it to try. I dont want him to plant a bunch for me and then I cant use it... Any help would be appreciated!

I think you just got a whole new hobby within a hobby. If it's too much of a pain, maybe you could just roast some for stouts? You should try it at least just so you can say you've done it. Start small.

-OCD

Back