Best place to store grains/corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
I have them in plastic storage containers. I just cleaned out the shed and just put a fridge out there. The shed is not air conditioned though. I would like to get them out of the house. Would the best place just be in the storage containers in the shed somewhere, or can I put the grains and corn sugar in the fridge out in the shed? Will they keep longer in the fridge?

I imagine the fridge will be better for the grains than a shed in the summer, though if I'm wrong I'm sure someone can correct me. I wouldn't worry about the corn sugar though: it's pure sugar without meaningful flavors like DME so won't spoil or go rancid/stale - just make sure it's sealed up to keep ants and moisture out.

Is putting the corn sugar in the fridge OK? Just want to make sure that the cold wont affect it in some way.

You can put corn sugar in the refrigerator if you want; it won't hurt anything but probably won't help anything either. Just make sure it's airtight.

Def make sure it's airtight if you put it in the fridge. Moisture can be an issue in there and if it's not in an airtight container it could end up either solid and/or picking up odd flavors from other thing in the fridge.

Back