Cheap Digital Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csafley

Reaction score
I came accross this Digital Thermostat with built in electrical outlet that would be perfect for temperature control and much cheaper then others I have seen. I am planning on exteneding the wire on the thermostat so that I can run it into my fermentation freezer.

Let me know what you think.

ref=dp_image_z_0

Amazon.com: WIN100 Heating & Cooling Programmable Outlet Thermostat: Home Improvement

Last edited by a moderator:
That unit senses the ambient air temp with that little antenna like thing you see sticking up on the top left. You might be able to use it if you mount it inside the freezer, but then you still need to get power to and from it. I don't think there's any way to lengthen the sensor probe which would be the ideal solution. It might not be safe to mount this unit inside the freezer anyway due to the often wet or very damp conditions. All said and done, it would probably be better to go with the standard Johnson analog controller as most do. I prefer the digital models, but they cost a little more. I've also been looking for a cheap way to make a controller. I need a lot of them!

I simply cut the the wire that leads to the probe and inserted an additional length of wire so that I can run the probe into my fermentation freezer while still allowing the unit to remain outside and away from the moisture. It works great!!

I simply cut the the wire that leads to the probe and inserted an additional length of wire so that I can run the probe into my fermentation freezer while still allowing the unit to remain outside and away from the moisture. It works great!!

Interesting! I was told you couldn't easily do this as the probe is actually a short thermocouple device and it's not as simple as just lengthening the wire. I think there are actually two wires involved and they form a junction at the probe. The wire must be of a special type. Ordinary chassis wire won't cut it. Then the unit must be calibrated to adjust for the added resistance. OTOH, this may all be wrong from what you are telling us. This thermostat would be a great low cost alternative to the typical ones we buy. Have you cross checked the freezer temps to see how well it's working?

It is currently hooked up to my chest freezer and is showing the same temperature as the dial thermometer inside. I didn't use any special wire and didn't have to calibrate anything and it works just fine.

the resistance involved is minimal in short runs. so if you take your thermister take an ohm reading of it without wire and then add a length of wire yourll see a minimal difference which shouldnt cause any temp change. now if this was a huge long run then yes it might be an issue.

Resurrection, I know..Do you have any tips on making the temp probe remote? There's this DIY controller https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-temp-controller-build-133364/ and they just pull out the probe, then solder longer wires to the places where the probe was. Is this the same idea? Just strip off the covering leading up to the probe, then solder on some longer wires...? Do you have pictures?

Re-resurrection: What gage wire and length did you use to extend the probe? This is really a great alternative to the other digital options available imo.

For $5 less the e-bay aquarium controller is dual stage (simultaneous heating and cooling), programmable differential, programmable compressor delay, and comes with a long probe. You do have to wire it to an outlet though.

That looks like it could be a decent alternative that's closer to being plug and play. It doesn't mention anything about differentials. Does anyone who's using it know if you can set the diff, or if not what it's pre-set at? I assume there's no way to set a compressor delay.

I used a high gauge..but then again, that's all I had on hand. I'm sure just about any wire will work (old extension cord?)...just as long as you connect it well. The run is pretty short.

I've used the probe just fine for a number of my batches. I had it hooked up to a Son of Fermentation style chiller...and it did the trick. Now it's hooked up to my fridge (as I had intended) for when I do the primary fermentation of lagers.

The ebay one isnt really cheaper after a housing/outlet, etc. Id call prices a wash. This one reads in F, which makes it the winner IMHO. I may be buying one soon to try it out.

I had it hooked up to a Son of Fermentation style chiller...and it did the trick. Now it's hooked up to my fridge (as I had intended) for when I do the primary fermentation of lagers.

With the SoF you were lagering above 45F, right? I think I'll get a Johnson or Ranco to control my keezer, but will get one of these to connect a thermwrap inside the keezer at some point. That'd would be a good, cheaper alternative to a dual stage. Thanks for the info!

I didn't lager with the SoF, Only ale fermentation. I ferment my lagers in a modified corny keg in a mini fridge at 45˚ (or higher). Then I would "lager" at the coldest setting on the same minifridge.

Back