diastatic power help pls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutcase

Reaction score
So my LHBS ran out of american 2-row a little over half way through my grain bill. I ended up using british pale 2 row instead for about 1/3 of the base malt - which i understand has less diastatic power. If i understand this correctly that means less ability to convert starch to sugars? So I am thinking about lowering the mash temp a bit to increase fermentability so I end up with close to the right FG. Does that sound right or am i totally confused?

the mash temp will change the balance between fermentable and unfermentable sugars, increasing the mash time is a better solution for lower diastatic power than changing the temp. but in your case I wouldn't worry about changing anything.

Any 2-row, be it pale, pilsner, or MO, will do the job. Diastatic power is only a concern if your grain bill has more than 50% non-base.

the mash temp will change the balance between fermentable and unfermentable sugars, increasing the mash time is a better solution for lower diastatic power than changing the temp. but in your case I wouldn't worry about changing anything.

Can you or someone explain why this is a better solution? Will the conversion still happen to the desired level if it is given more time in the mash? Thanks

Can you or someone explain why this is a better solution? Will the conversion still happen to the desired level if it is given more time in the mash? Thanks

I'll let Greg Noonan help here:
Diastatic power (°Lintner, IOB). Diastatic power (DP) expresses the strength of starch-reducing enzymes in the malt and is measured in °Lintner (sometimes referred to as IOB or .25 maltose equivalent). Diastatic power, considered together with mealiness/vitreosity, indicates how well a malt will respond to mashing.

So to answer your second question, to an extent, yes. Longer mash times will help get more starch conversion to a limit.

Back