iBrewMaster (iPhone) - Great

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For your mash out use a custom mash step which is set as follows.

"Auto Calc."
"Infusion"
"Step"

Water to add: Calc (greyed)
Water temp: 212F
Target Mash Temp: 170F
Step Time: 5

The "Water Temp" should be set at the temp you will heat your mash out water to. It needs to be pretty hot or the calculator will one up with a huge volume to add.

The above settings will compute the volume of water at 212F needed to raise your mash to 170F.

I don't use the above settings. I always use free form and just add 8 quarts at 212F. 8 quarts is much easier to measure and gets the job done.

For batch sparge I have a 3rd step: sparge. The volume required for that step auto calculates based in prebiotic volume and the mash in and mash out volumes.

This is basically what I ended up doing. Thanks for the help.

Will this work on my iPad and I phone or do I have to buy it on both? I'd like to have on my iPad for brewing and on iPhone for shoping or to play with recipe while I'm killing time

nghtmre4u said:
Will this work on my iPad and I phone or do I have to buy it on both? I'd like to have on my iPad for brewing and on iPhone for shoping or to play with recipe while I'm killing time

You have to buy for both.

Sorry if this is a total noob question guys.

I'm planning on going all grain for my next batch, but sticking to a BIAB because I just don't have the money or space for more stuff.

I'll be using a 7.5 gal pot and will be doing a sparge to bring my preboil up to 6.7 gal. Will I be able to use this app with the weird brew plan?

Just wondering since I assume its intended for regular 3 vessel type brews or standard no sparge BIAB.

Safa said:
Sorry if this is a total noob question guys.

I'm planning on going all grain for my next batch, but sticking to a BIAB because I just don't have the money or space for more stuff.

I'll be using a 7.5 gal pot and will be doing a sparge to bring my preboil up to 6.7 gal. Will I be able to use this app with the weird brew plan?

Just wondering since I assume its intended for regular 3 vessel type brews or standard no sparge BIAB.

Sure you can use this with any equipment. The same basic steps apply for all methods: mash and boil and cool and pitch and ferment and bottle/keg and drink. You can define the parameters around your equipment in the app.

I bought this after my first posts in this thread and am very impressed.

Sure you can use this with any equipment. The same basic steps apply for all methods: mash and boil and cool and pitch and ferment and bottle/keg and drink. You can define the parameters around your equipment in the app.

I bought this after my first posts in this thread and am very impressed.

Thanks, that's awesome!
I might need to post back to get help setting it all up!

Anyone know how to add bourbon (not bourbon flavor) to iBrewmaster? Would like to add it and see the alcohol automatically adjust when done. That might be overkill, but any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Darren

WKU_Doc_D said:
Anyone know how to add bourbon (not bourbon flavor) to iBrewmaster? Would like to add it and see the alcohol automatically adjust when done. That might be overkill, but any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Darren

I kind of doubt you are going to be able to do something along those lines...

Fwiw, I don't even use ibrewmaster's abv calculations, I use another software that I think has a more accurate calculation.

Jeepinctbrewer said:
does this work for extract and mini mash also??

also looking to store all the kit beers i have brewed

Yes. It works for extract and partial mash. It is great for storing details and notes about old batches.

I've had the app for two weeks and one brew day. I love it! Great app! i love how easy it is to scale a recipe up and down.

Not very impressed right now. I paid good money for iBrewmaster, and they've been stonewalling for the last year of how they are going to add yeasts, hops, calculators that are obviously missing from the app. Well they added them, and made it a "new" version, iBM2 selling for $17.99 on the apple market. I will not be upgrading, unless I get a credit for the version I already bought. I'll just keep adjusting the Centennial AA% and putting the actual hop schedule in the notes like I've been doing. This is bollocks.

bottlebomber said:
Not very impressed right now. I paid good money for iBrewmaster, and they've been stonewalling for the last year of how they are going to add yeasts, hops, calculators that are obviously missing from the app. Well they added them, and made it a "new" version, iBM2 selling for $17.99 on the apple market. I will not be upgrading, unless I get a credit for the version I already bought. I'll just keep adjusting the Centennial AA% and putting the actual hop schedule in the notes like I've been doing. This is bollocks.

I agree the price for ibm2 is too high.

I don't understand this comment though?

I'll just keep adjusting the Centennial AA% and putting the actual hop schedule in the notes like I've been doing.

Why not just adjust the AA% when you add the hops to the recipe or update it permanently via the setup tab?

alestateyall said:
I agree the price for ibm2 is too high.

I don't understand this comment though?

Why not just adjust the AA% when you add the hops to the recipe or update it permanently via the setup tab?

Because there's no Nelson... No galaxy.. No Styrian Aurora.. Probably 75% of the hops I use aren't on the list. So when I want to build a recipe using those hops, I just manipulate the AA of centennial to get my numbers, then I add in what the actual hop schedule was in my notes. Since I can input the actual hop schedule in the software.

bottlebomber said:
Because there's no Nelson... No galaxy.. No Styrian Aurora.. Probably 75% of the hops I use aren't on the list. So when I want to build a recipe using those hops, I just manipulate the AA of centennial to get my numbers, then I add in what the actual hop schedule was in my notes. Since I can input the actual hop schedule in the software.

Oh. Why not just add those hops in the setup menu? setup -> hops -> edit -> Add new hops

image-1505275813.jpg

Notice the second hops on the list "bottlebomber."

alestateyall said:
Oh. Why not just add those hops in the setup menu? setup -> hops -> edit -> Add new hops

Notice the second hops on the list "bottlebomber."

Cool, thank you! I did not know you could add new hop varieties.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who is feeling slighted by them charging what they are charging for the upgrade.

Especially since the features they added were promised to users as updates to the original app... I emailed the developer and got a very snarky/condescending reply from him. I will not be upgrading, and will be encouraging others to do the same.

I'd be glad to share the email replies from the developer if anyone is interested in seeing his opinion of those of us who have tried to help him with his app over the past few years.

HollisBT said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one who is feeling slighted by them charging what they are charging for the upgrade.

Especially since the features they added were promised to users as updates to the original app... I emailed the developer and got a very snarky/condescending reply from him. I will not be upgrading, and will be encouraging others to do the same.

I'd be glad to share the email replies from the developer if anyone is interested in seeing his opinion of those of us who have tried to help him with his app over the past few years.

I'd love to. When the app was first available I used the Support&Feedback function and got an email each time within a day. I used it a couple of months ago, and got nothing. Makes sense, since they were planning on rolling the promised features into the new version.

At first glance, I though $17 was a bit expensive. I went ahead and upgraded and bought v2. I am very impressed. After using version 1, Beersmith lite, and Beersmith full on the iPad, iBrewmaster2 is by far the best. I don't remember how much v1 was, but the recipe packs were $8 alone. Now there are 600 included. There are a couple of bugs which caused the program to exit, but these seem minor. The profiles, batch tracking, inventory tracking, and recipe editing are all first class. This is much easier to use than Beersmith full on the iPad which was also released in the past week.

The only aspect of Beersmith I like better are the references and Beersmith Cloud. IBrewmaster can save to your own DropBox account, but not interact with thousands of others like Beersmith cloud.

For now IBrewmaster2 will be my main app, moving recipes from Beersmith now.

I know what it takes to develop apps and deal with Apple. Personally I think this should be a $10 to $15 app, but I am satisfied with what I received paying $18. In app purchases to upgrade to a new version through Apple are very complicated because of Apple.

Hopefully they will continue to improve their cloud recipe sharing feature. It would probably be too much to ask to integrate Beersmith cloud. Overall highly recommended if you want to use your iPad or iPhone as your primary brewing computer.

From the reviews on iTunes, it's looking like its not going over very well at all...

I feel pretty good about my decision to go back to beersmith.

bottlebomber said:
I'd love to. When the app was first available I used the Support&Feedback function and got an email each time within a day. I used it a couple of months ago, and got nothing. Makes sense, since they were planning on rolling the promised features into the new version.

I will go through them and make sure I'm not going to be posting his or my email address, and hopefully post up his email responses here within the next couple of days. I'm still somewhat shocked at the attitude he took, it is clear that customer service/satisfaction is not high on his priority list.

I've been a long time iBrewmaster fan and started with the iPhone version and later bought the iPad one when I got my tablet. I saw the fairly expensive upgrade for v2 the other day and was a little disappointed seeing as I've already bought 2 versions. With that said, there's nothing wrong with the developer trying to get a return on his work but I personally don't see enough to warrant the upgrade purchase -- basically looks the same with some added calculators.

If the developer was rude in his response, that's definitely unwarranted.

Back