Simcoe Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
I brewed an apa last night using columbus for bittering and simcoe for flavor. this morning coming from my airlock is the most wonderfull hop aroma! Ive never used these before and im loving them already. My question is, should i use the 1 oz. amarillo i got to dry hop with or get some more simcoe? I know amirillo is similar to cascade which makes me weary to use it. I just dont want to mask all that great simcoe aroma with cascade type aroma.(i like cascade, im just over it)
btw i used .5 oz. columbus at 60, and 30 and boy is this beer gonna be bitter! I tasted the wort and got angina from the bitterness, hopefully it will mellow a bit!

Bjorn Borg said:
I brewed an apa last night using columbus for bittering and simcoe for flavor. this morning coming from my airlock is the most wonderfull hop aroma! Ive never used these before and im loving them already. My question is, should i use the 1 oz. amarillo i got to dry hop with or get some more simcoe? I know amirillo is similar to cascade which makes me weary to use it. I just dont want to mask all that great simcoe aroma with cascade type aroma.(i like cascade, im just over it)
btw i used .5 oz. columbus at 60, and 30 and boy is this beer gonna be bitter! I tasted the wort and got angina from the bitterness, hopefully it will mellow a bit!

SIMCOE,SIMCOE and Simcoe, it is the best all around hop that I have used to date and I have benn brewing for over 15 yrs. as a matter of fact I just vacum bagged a new pound of it.

Pardon my lack of knowledge...is Simcoe an American hop variety? I've been trying to formulate an APA recipe and don't know the best American varieties to use.

Thanks.

BREW ON:mug:

brackbrew said:
Pardon my lack of knowledge...is Simcoe an American hop variety? I've been trying to formulate an APA recipe and don't know the best American varieties to use.

Thanks.

yup...i think it came out in 2000. So far it smells awesome! Piney, musky, earthy...
Im definitely going to dry hop with a half ounce or more. i might do only a half cuz the og was kind of low (1.052) and the bitterness is kind of high (+55) and finally i only used .5 lbs of crystal, so i want to taste some kind of malt.

Bjorn Borg said:
yup...i think it came out in 2000. So far it smells awesome! Piney, musky, earthy...
Im definitely going to dry hop with a half ounce or more. i might do only a half cuz the og was kind of low (1.052) and the bitterness is kind of high (+55) and finally i only used .5 lbs of crystal, so i want to taste some kind of malt.

Was your recipe all grain, or extract w/grains? Would you mind posting it? I'd be really interested in trying it. At least, let us all know how the brew turns out!

brackbrew said:
Was your recipe all grain, or extract w/grains? Would you mind posting it? I'd be really interested in trying it. At least, let us all know how the brew turns out!

10 lbs dingemans pale ale malt
.5 lbs briess munich
.5 lbs briess crystal 10L

.5 oz columbus 13.3 aau (60 min) pellet
.5 oz columbus 13.3 aau (30 min) pellet
.5 oz simcoe 12 aau (15 min) pellet
.5 oz simcoe 12 aau (8 min) pellet
.5-1 oz simcoe dryhop (plug)

2x11 g us56 dry ale yeast (rehydrated in 12 oz. 82F h20 25 min)
1 whirlfloc tab (15 min)
.5 tsp gypsum (mash)
.5 tsp gypsum (sparge)

mash: 130 (30 min), 148 (40 min), 158 (10 min)
sparge: 4 gallon 175F h20 (batch sparge)

og 1.052
ibu +55 (yikes!)

Has anyone used Simcoe with Centennial or Citra?
Cheers

Yeah. I did an all Centennial (4 oz.) dry hopped with an ounce of Simcoe. I also dry hopped a Sierra Nevada clone with Simcoe. Both were good batches.

I made the Zombie Dust clone, and dry hopped with 2oz of citra and simcoe each. I must say it was the best Pale ale I have ever had. I was pineapple-orange juice, grapefruit and just a little pine

SIMCOE,SIMCOE and Simcoe, it is the best all around hop that I have used to date and I have benn brewing for over 15 yrs. as a matter of fact I just vacum bagged a new pound of it.

You vacuum bagged some? are you growing it?

My all time winner IPA with a miracle score of 48 had simcoe amarillo cascade mt hood and willamette kind of cheating the last 3 were home grown. Anyway! Amarillo is a great hop but for you at this stage I think it is different from Cascade, a lot deeper more orangey and less flowery. The simcoe to me is all pineapple so to add some amarillo orange made sense. Just concerned now you add something different for dry hop it gets tough to say what's best.

I just bottled my latest attempt at a huge IPA...the hop schedule included Magnum, Warrior, Cascade, Centennial, Citra and Simcoe....late additions and dry hop were all Cascade, Simcoe and Citra. The hop aroma going into bottles was absolutely fantastic....I can't wait to try this one.

So anyway, yeah....I'm a Simcoe fan!

jdooley said:
Has anyone used Simcoe with Centennial or Citra?
Cheers

Check out the Black IPA that won cat 23 in last years National Homebrew Competition "Urban UFO". I brewed it and it was awesome! I just brewed another batch without the blackening grain and it is maybe better without the astringency of the darker grain. I call it the Not so Urban UFO. My black IPA scored a 42 in the last competition it was entered in.

Back