Is there a way to figure this out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Okay, so I brewed an English Porter this weekend. I used the following for the grist:

9 lbs American 2-Row
1/2 lb Crystal (120)
1/4 lb Cara Foam
1/2 lb. Chocolate
2 oz. Black Patent

I mashed with 3.5 gals of water at 152 degrees. I sparged with a little less than 4.5 gals of water. Boil volume was around 6.5 or 7 gallons and after the boil I put 4.5 gallons into my primary.

At this point, I did a hydro reading and it was about 1.060. But I wanted to have a full five gallon batch, so I topped off with a whole gallon of water. Then, I forgot to take another gravity reading. Is there a way to determine what my gravity was after adding that gallon of water?

I ran my recipe through the Recipator, and it indicates I should have about 1.048. Does this sound about right?

The beer looks very brown . . . I hope that it blackens up a bit as the yeast settle out. The color right now is nowhere close to the 69 SRM that the recipator says I should see.

Why do you need a promash? Simple calculator works just fine: 4.5 * 60 / 5.5 = 49.09

Back