Not flocculating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastwood44mag

Reaction score
My batch from hell refuses to flocculate. I'd rather not chew my beer before swallowing it, and I'm scheduled to bottle this weekend. Any ideas how to get more residue out of solution before I bottle?

Thanks.

Let it sit a bit longer. Dont rush it.

Making beer is a lot like sex. Sure you can WHAM BAM it out but it's better if ya let it go for a while . . . well unless you get chaffed, and tired . . . and one of them cramps in your foot . . . and she starts yelling "Arent you done yet?" . . . then the dog starts growling and wakes up the kid . . . then he asks "Daddy why are you hurting Mommy?". . .

OK, beer is better then sex because it doesnt give you them kinda problems but you know what I mean
:mug:

If it is already done fermenting you can try cooling the fermenter for a couple of days or maybe using gelatine. Never done it myself but I know that some people use those.

eastwood44mag said:
...and I'm scheduled to bottle this weekend.
Beer, like SWMBO, sometimes makes the schedule for you, not the other way around. Although you can sometimes force the issue with similar results. I'd say you can either bottle it this weekend and have cloudy beer (it may settle out some if you chill the bottles after they've carb'ed), or let it sit longer, preferably at cellar temperature.

Finings are the general term for compounds that bind the floaties. Gelatin, isinglass, polyclear are all different types. They typically will clear a beer in 2-3 days.

Update:

Bubbling in secondary ceased within a few hours of being racked in batch 1 (racked Sunday). Batches 2 and 3 bubbling every couple of minutes.

I'm headed out of town for a week, starting Saturday, so I'm in a bit of a hurry to get these bottled. What harm would there be if I was a week late to bottle? Would it still be possible to carbonate, or would my yeast be dead at that point?

Thanks.

you can wait for a couple of months to bottle it if you want. the yeast will still be there and alive (just dormant) and they will wake up when there is more food to eat.

Note: this is just based on what I have read. I've never gone longer than about 6 weeks (I think) in the secondary, and had NO issues with carbonation at all.

-walker

i've had my oatmeal stout in the secondary for almost 5 weeks now. I'm goign to keg it. But if i were to bottle it it woudl take a month or 2 berfoe i could drink it. Waiting a extra week shouldn't mater one bit just make take a few more days to carbonate.

Back