pressure treated wood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeropolis

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of making a couple 2.5x2.5x2.5 planter boxes to plant my 2 rhizomes in. Planting them in the ground is not an option unfortunately. So, my question is, would pressure treated wood be good or bad for the plants?

It's treated with arsenic and then pressed between rollers to get the liquid out. Let your conscious be your guide. I would recommend Cedar or Redwood.

my dad is a carpenter and as Gnome said it has arsenic in it. I would not use it for anything unless you have absolutely no choice, the dust from cutting it is bad, the splinters you can get from it are bad, and you certainly dont want to risk getting arsenic in the soil where your hops are growing. I dont know if it would harm the hops but if it gets into the plants and into your beer is would be very bad.

Gnome said:
It's treated with arsenic and then pressed between rollers to get the liquid out. Let your conscious be your guide. I would recommend Cedar or Redwood.

CCA hasn't been used for residential treated lumber since around 2004 they now use ACQ

They havent used arsenic in years..

The stuff they use now doesnt migrate easily though soil, I would let them sit outside for a while to get all of the residual stuff off and then use it. I plan on using PT for my raised planters.

If you're concerned even with the ACQ or have any doubts just line the interior (not the bottom) with heavy mil plastic. There's no way I'd drop the bucks on redwood or cedar.

Same problem here. 2x12x16' acq treated is $20, the same in cedar is 79.99. I need 6 of them so $120 vs $500 is a no brainer for me. I am half tempted just to use good old untreated pine and see how long it lasts. If it starts falling apart after a few years I'll wrap it with the treated stuff.

I did read that the acq can leach copper something or other into the soil or if the roots contact it and should be avoided in vegetable gardens unless you line it with plastic. Google it you'll find lots of info.

I used regular ol' lumber for my raised garden and all is well three years later...no signs of deterioration. Pressure treated, cedar, etc. costs way too much.

Latest posts

Back