Sulphur essence in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabama Brewer

Reaction score
Fellow Brewers,

I brewed the Austin homebrew Supply version of "texas blonde ale" several weeks ago. No grains, Malt extract and corn syrup. I also added a package of 1% alcohol boost that AHS sells.

1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary. I have drawn out a sample for the past few days and the FG is steady at 1.010. OG was at 1.048.

Beer looks great but slight smell, and taste of sulphur, (sewer smell). I have noticed this in previous batches much earlier in the process but this stuff is ready to bottle. I am going to let it clear for one more week first.

One liberty I took with this recipe was to dry hop with 1oz of Amarillo pellets in the secondary. (I like extra hop character in just about all of my beers).

Any input/thoughts? Sure would appreciate knowledgable feedback!

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp029.html

Its just the yeast... let it age out..

"WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast
From a small brewpub in Cologne, Germany, this yeast works great in Kölsch and Alt style beers. Good for light beers like blond and honey. Accentuates hop flavors, similar to WLP001. The slight sulfur produced during fermentation will disappear with age and leave a super clean, lager like ale. "

""It made the best dark beers I have made ... "
By: dave d
Date: January 21, 2008
Beers Brewed: German dark
Comments: I made three batches at once with one test tube. I boiled 8 oz of powdered malt and yeast starter in 2 liters of water to make a starter solution. In three days it was ready. It did smell of sulphur during the process, but it went away. "

""GREAT Kolsch yeast"
By: Matt
Date: September 11, 2007
Beers Brewed: Kolsch
Comments: A GREAT Kolsch yeast. Always produces a clean, crisp Kolsch for me 3 weeks after brewing. Warning: for the first few days of fermentation, it stinks like hard boiled eggs/farts/sulfur."

i use AHS kits also and am extremely pleased with results. The sulfur is usually a by product of the yeast ( a normal one). Just give it time to mellow and dissipate.
My advice is patience. I know their directions state 1 week primary, 1 week secondary, then depending on the beer 3-4 weeks bottle condition. Patience on any aspect will improve your beer- whether extending the time period in the primary, secondary, or in the bottle. Some use the 1-2-3 method. I usually leave in the primary for 10-14 days, and secondary for minimum of 2 weeks. Bottle condition as per AHS directions are when the beer will be carbonated and ready, but even another weeks, or 2, or evenmore will allow the flavors to meld and any off-flavors to diminish. I know it's hard, but a 2-2-3 (minimum of 3!) will produce a MUCH better brew than a 1-2-3, and a week or 2 more ion the bottle even more so.

Thanks very much for the replies. Good info. I like easy problems. Never used this yeast before so I am confident in your responses.
:mug:

Most of you mention storing your secondary cold. after you bottle, do you leave them cold during bottle conditioning, or do you let them warm up again? (then cool again before drinking them)

You will probably want to keep your bottles at around 70 degrees or so for a few weeks to make sure they carbonate well. Then you should store them at a cooler temp until you are ready to drink them.

Back