Room Temp Vs. Beer Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenandsilver

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've started my first brew today and am trying to find an equilibrium between room temp and the temp of my 5 gallons of beer. Currently I'm aiming for about 70-75 degrees. What room temp do most people find help keep their beer in that size around that temp? I'm considering using a heat blanket or something of the sort tho that's unlikely. Any pointers?

Thanks
Gabe from San Jose, CA

Generally about 70F is a nice temperature. A heat blanket should only be necessary if you get down near 60 or below. I wouldn't do anything to correct the temperature though. Sounds good as it is.

as long as your doing ales, 70-75 is fine. 68 is about prime for most ale strains.

the act of fermenting generates heat, so keep that in mind too.

Oh on a hardly related note, does bottle color have any relevance on final product? I have heard of using clear bottles for the first and last bottles of a batch but other than that, does clear green or amber have any function or effect?

The entire purpose of green and amber bottles is to protect the beer hops from ultra violet light. UV light will "skunk" the beer. Amber or brown bottles work better. But you can accomplish the same by covering or otherwise keeping the beer out of sun or ultraviolet light.:D

yea, i'd stay away from clear and green bottles if it was me. you can use them, i just always prefered the amber for the extra UV protection.

DeRoux's Broux said:
yea, i'd stay away from clear and green bottles if it was me. you can use them, i just always prefered the amber for the extra UV protection.
I use a lot of green bottles, but I put them in a cardboard box with dividers, close the lid, then put the box in a closet and close the door. Can anyone say paranoid? :rolleyes:

timdsmith72 said:
I use a lot of green bottles, but I put them in a cardboard box with dividers, close the lid, then put the box in a closet and close the door. Can anyone say paranoid? :rolleyes:

well, that's pretty much what i'd do with 'em :D

Another advantage of cornies, the sun don't shine in there!

I use a small electric space heater & blow warm air on the fermenter. I keep the house around 65F in the winter & have an electric heatpump, so I'm not really wasting the power. I have a 24 hours timer that has 48 pins to control when it is on. About 30 minutes on and 60 off works best.

I keep a couple of clear bottles on hand for every batch so i can see the beer. I look for floc. of yeast and color. Clear is much easier to see through than amber.

Back