Strange taste in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khirsah17

Reaction score
So the other day I took a beer sample for my hydrometer and excitingly tried it, only to find that it tasted pretty bad. Arg. It has a very unpleasant hop bitterness to it, that last for quite a while after drinking, and a serious, for lack of better description, 'funk' to it. The hop bitterness I can maybe understand and be ok with, because it'll probably tone down with time. It's the 'funk' that I'm concerned about. I think I remember another beer I made a while back, a belgian wit, that had a similar funk that never really went away, and I could never get over it.

Im using White Lab's Super High gravity yeast, and I've read some posts that it retains CO2 a lot more than other yeasts. So I swirled the carboy about twice a day for about 5 days, and man, I thought I was going to pass out from all the CO2 in my basement. On the plus side, I had amazing attenuation, but now I got this strange taste and I wonder if it's from all the swirling and resuspending of the yeast. I made another beer that same day, a stout, and I tried that yesterday after a week in the primary, and it tastes pretty damn good. I've heard a bit about yeast cleanup in the primary, so do you think I should let the funky beer sit in there longer, or do a emergency evac and rack it to the secondary?

Some stats on the beer:
OG: 1.083
SG: 1.016 (after 6 days, when hydro sample taken)
Ferment temp: constant 69F
50 IBUS, 2 oz of cluster for 75 mins

Khirsah17 said:
On the plus side, I had amazing attenuation,
Some stats on the beer:
OG: 1.083
SG: 1.016 (after 6 days, when hydro sample taken)
Ferment temp: constant 69F
50 IBUS, 2 oz of cluster for 75 mins

That explains why it is super bitter. For that many IBU's you want some residual sweetness to balance it out. Something your super high gravity very attenuated yeast didn't leave you.

The funk I can't help you with other than to ask for a better description. There are all kinds of off flavors out there and all kinds of reasons you might get them.

It's hard to know what sort of funk you have without knowing more about your beer. However, you get a lot of weird flavors and aromas in the primary, especially if the fermentation is still going. Give it time.

TL

Hard to say if there is even an issue this early in the process. I'd tend to agree that you need some sweetness to balance out the bitterness, but time has a tendency to mellow things out some. Not sure on the funk.

Back