Tell me which of these ales to brew next.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I brew next?

• Oatmeal stout (partial mash?)

• Red ale

• Hefeweizen or other wheat ale

• Other (please post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

mpetty

Reaction score
Ok, I just brewed by second batch up last night, and I'm too excited about all of these different types of beers to pick the third one! I won't be able to brew this for another 2.5 weeks, and I'll probably wait until I get a wort chiller to start it. Anyway...

I really like hops. I really like creamy heads. I love that silky smooth aftertaste that coats the back of your mouth after you take a swig of a nice thick beer.
Wheat ales are good, too, and I question whether or not I've really had a good one. NB's Sunshine Wheat is okay, but I prefer Boulevard's Wheat, which has more of a creamy fruitiness to it. In general, I prefer hefeweizens.
Then there are red ales. I don't think I have ever had a premium red ale. Killian's Irish Red is the only true red I've had. With Pete's Wicked Ale (a "ruby-brown") having some of the same taste. Killian's is what made me into someone who enjoys beer, so I'd like to sample a premium red at some point.

I know I will brew all of these eventually, but will you help me decide which first? So far, I have only done extract kits, mostly because I needed to brew today and it's very quick to buy a pre-assembled kit from my LHBS. I'm ready to make the next step to whole hops and at least partial mash. I already have a mash tun (cooler method) and a lauter-tun (bag in coolor method, with bag sandwiched between raised strainers for sparge).

So... please vote and post comments.

I'd say go for gold. Brew the stout now before winter ends. If you really like that creamy head you can look into finishing it with champagne yeast.... though I don't know if that would suit the oatmeal (I wouldn't turn it down).

Do you have winter there (Arkansas or is that Arizona... no wait that's AZ)

t1master said:
if you like hops, do a hoppy pale ale, or even an ipa.

I brewed a hoppy pale ale last night. :) The next hophead beer I do will probably be an Old Ale, since I've never had one, and sometimes I wish IPA's had even more hops. :D

We sort of have winter here in NW Arkansas, the rest of AR not so much. The coldest daytime temps we get are the single-digits.

I've found quite a few oatmeal stout recipes online, and I've got a few in my brew books. Does anyone have a partial-mash favorite? Or convince me to go all-grain (how long does it take you to brew an all-grain batch?).

I'm making more Church of Chocolate Brown. I'm trying 4 oz of oatmeal this time to get a little more body. I did the heavy winter brewing a couple months ago and now I'll be making lighter stuff for the spring.

Back