Bucket not sealed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duttonjc

Reaction score
I brewed beer on Saturday, I notice the airlock was not moving. I check today Tuesday and the lib on the bucket was not all the sealed. Am I ok?

You'll be fine if you sanitized the things that came in contact with the wort/beer after the boil. I usually ferment with the airlock hole on the lid plugged up and the lid loosely placed on top, and I have never had a problem.

fermenting creates CO2, which fills the headspace in the bucket and eventually will push bubbles out the airlock

in your case the gas found it easier to escape out the loose lid

either way, the gas is pushing out, so it's unlikely something airborne got in

When I purchased my initial kit, my LHBS owner said I didn't need to bother with an airlock and said he never used them, he just placed the lid on the bucket without clipping it down!

I ignored his airlock advice, by the way.

When I purchased my initial kit, my LHBS owner said I didn't need to bother with an airlock and said he never used them, he just placed the lid on the bucket without clipping it down!

I ignored his airlock advice, by the way.

LHBS owner doesn't want to sell you something?

he's a keeper

and he's apparently happy with results he's getting without one, so good on him.

but yeah... I would ignore him too, at least with this

I don't even use a lid. I just place the bucket in front of the furnace intake so the wonderful smell of fermentation permeated the entire house!

(I'm joking, of course. You're fine.)

I don't even use a lid. I just place the bucket in front of the furnace intake so the wonderful smell of fermentation permeated the entire house!

(I'm joking, of course. You're fine.)
You joke, but I've done exactly that. The intake also happens to be near the thermistat, and therefore the most temp controlled area of my house.

I've had 4 batches going at once ( air locked of course ); that smell permeates the house. It's awesome.

Maybe I can just feed some raw hops into the filter box!

My new air freshener!

Oh, also, BTW I brewed a cream ale with BrewerinBR on Sunday and even though there is large head of krausen formed, the airlock just sits on the stem. Not a single bubble. That bucket has never sealed right.

Back