Singularity (Robust Porter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinPig

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Malts
- 14.5# Briess Pale Ale Malt 3.5L
- 1.5# Crisp Amber Malt
- 1.5# English Chocolate Malt
- 1.5# English Brown Malt
- 1.5# Wyermann Rye Malt
- 1.0# Briess Midnight Black

Hops
- 4 oz Fuggles (UK) @ 60 minutes
- 2 oz Fuggles (UK) @ 15 minutes

Yeast
- Wyeast 1272 American Ale II (2 packages, Yeast Starter)

Single Infusion Mash
- 28 quarts @153 for 60 minutes
- Batch Sparge 7 gallons @ 168 for 20 minutes

OG: 1.058
Primary: 14 days
Secondary: 15 days
Final Gravity: 1.017
Bottled with priming sugar
Yield: 9.11 gallons

My co-brewers and I were very excited about this recipe (Porter is probably our favorite style). This is just getting better with age and has turned out spectacular. Lots of complexity, incredibly dark and absolutely drinkable. Starts off malt forward (which is mellowing with age) and finishes nice with a chocolately kind of bitterness. This is going to be an absolute staple for me. The only thing I will change is trying to get more body next time, must have had a temperature misread on the mash as it came out of the gate a little thin. This and possibly add something for greater head retention (maybe some Carapils, but adding more malt to this heavy grain bill is something I'm not sure my mash tun could handle).

I've actually toyed with the idea of using this same grain bill and going for a 5-7 gallon batch and calling it a RIS :)

Driftwood brewery out of Victoria, British Columbia, Can, makes a RIS called Singularity. 'A beer of infinite depth' it's fantastic. Similar to your description.
Sounds good!

Yes, Driftwood's RIS is pretty damn amazing.

I'm also a big fan of porter and plan on doing a few for the winter. This one is now on the list. Thanks!

What is your recommended aging time in the keg/bottles to bring out its full potential?

Back