Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few lessons learned in my college days: Buy 2 bladder flasks and secure them to the inside of your legs. It was the only sure fire way to get into a college stadium with hooch. Also, NEVER load a CamelBack with beer. You will never get the smell or taste out no matter how many times you wash it out.

I had some people over last weekend and offered one of my guests a home brew. I said I had a belgian quad, a porter, a milk stout, an Irish red ale, and a cream ale. She said, "something yellow colored and not too ale-y". Not knowing what "ale-y" tastes like I gave her the cream ale and she seemed to like it.

I had some people over last weekend and offered one of my guests a home brew. I said I had a belgian quad, a porter, a milk stout, an Irish red ale, and a cream ale. She said, "something yellow colored and not too ale-y". Not knowing what "ale-y" tastes like I gave her the cream ale and she seemed to like it.

She probably normally drinks lagers, so at least she distinguished ale from lager...

Whattawort said:
A few lessons learned in my college days: Buy 2 bladder flasks and secure them to the inside of your legs. It was the only sure fire way to get into a college stadium with hooch. Also, NEVER load a CamelBack with beer. You will never get the smell or taste out no matter how many times you wash it out.

I've always wanted to try the camel back idea. Now I know not to ha

I'd say "ale-y" is all the flavors that we associate with ales that are not associated with most lagers. So, big malt character and/or heavy use of hops, lots of yeast character, thick mouthfeel.
Cream ale is probably one of the best bets for an american lager drinker, so it sounds like you rather understood it too ;)

RCCOLA said:
I'm a PTA in our local hospital. The nurses had one of my patient's foley catheter bag(urine bag) in a tub of ice for some testing procedure today. They wanted it left in the tub while we walked. When she saw the 1/2 full bag of pale urine on ice she said "Coors!"

Haha that's awesome!

A good friend of mine tries a Honey Bee Ale I had brewed and let me know "Its okay brotha but there's just too much alcohol in these home brews". This was said while he was pounding Makers like water and chasing it with Miller Lite.

Honestly, if that happened to me, I'd chalk it up to a mistake rather than ignorance. They're probably on the same tower/rail/coffin, most likely next to each other. Busy bars make swaps like that all the time, and unless it's radically different in color, it's not enough to notice they pulled the wrong tap when they looked up to see some random person waving money/etc
Never had torpedo myself, but it always looked like it was very close in color to the PA... not like they handed you a Coors.

Yeah I will account for that. I went to a crappy college bar for a friend of a family members birthday. Being a little poor that week and with the bar only having BMC and Guinness and I was not feeling the Guinness that night ordered a BL draft. What I got was... watery-cidery rather than watery-beery. I think they gave me some sort of angry orchard (their cider on tap) snakebite only with BL. It could not be a straight cider and definitely was not a beer. Yuck.

Right from my microbiology book:

Untitled_zpsb1a3c6dc.jpg

"Yeah I think I'm gonna set half of these aside to age for a few months" - referring to this year's Hopslam.

You'd think if someone was to be spending ~$18 on a 6 pack they'd educate themselves at least a little about the beer they were buying.

phenry said:
"Yeah I think I'm gonna set half of these aside to age for a few months" - referring to this year's Hopslam.

You'd think if someone was to be spending ~$18 on a 6 pack they'd educate themselves at least a little about the beer they were buying.

What? That hop flavor and aroma doesn't just keep getting better and better with time? :p

I'm a PTA in our local hospital. The nurses had one of my patient's foley catheter bag(urine bag) in a tub of ice for some testing procedure today. They wanted it left in the tub while we walked. When she saw the 1/2 full bag of pale urine on ice she said "Coors!"

On a kinda similar note, at Philly Beerfest, Cricket Hill has a Coors tap, that pumps out water to clean your glass

phenry said:

To be fair, I know enthusiasts and brewers who do this for kicks, all in the name of science. Your situation may have been different, but I've seen this by well educated brewers just because they could.

From a compilation of crazy-ass Cosmo quotes SWSBO sent me:

"37. Give him a beer facial — the combination of the egg white and the yeast in the hops hydrates and improves skin elasticity... but you can just tell him that your lips can't resist his delicious, beer-flavored face."

Mojzis said:
Balls. Well it was funny until I clicked that link :D

Most likely the book wasn't published anywhere near that time, and I am also pretty sure if it was, the book has had an update and/or revision since that time(the early 1900s?). So no it's still wrong. This is supposed to be researched and scholarly work and that definition isn't near current or correct. So yes it IS funny. Don't let him knock you, some people like to pull this type of stuff, drawing on antiquated material from beer history, to sound like they know something, and make these ridiculous types of corrections. Makes them feel smart or something. "Well actually it used to be blah blah," Well it ISN'T now so no still wrong. We had a few throw downs in this thread over this type of thing already... I remember a nightmare of something about an archaichly phrased book??

Most likely the book wasn't published anywhere near that time, and I am also pretty sure if it was, the book has had an update and/or revision since that time(the early 1900s?). So no it's still wrong. This is supposed to be researched and scholarly work and that definition isn't near current or correct. So yes it IS funny. Don't let him knock you, some people like to pull this type of stuff, drawing on antiquated material from beer history, to sound like they know something, and make these ridiculous types of corrections. Makes them feel smart or something. "Well actually it used to be blah blah," Well it ISN'T now so no still wrong. We had a few throw downs in this thread over this type of thing already... I remember a nightmare of something about an archaichly phrased book??

Beers of the World: Over 350 Classic Beers, Lagers, Ales and Porters

archaic, but technically correct!

Last edited by a moderator:
Grog, what a cool looking dog in your picture, what breed? The pic is very small in my app, beagle or basset or something I am guessing

GrogNerd said:
Howdy is a beagle. purebred, but no papers. rescued almost 3 years ago and he will be 5 at the end of February

got his name from the freckles on his nose. we thought he looked like Howdy Doody

awesome beagles are cool and rescue dogs are great I have 2 rescues, one Pitt and one mix of hound of some sort that no one, not even his vets, can identify what exactly he is haha anyway back to funny things overheard about beer...

I heard this dumb 13 year old girl saying beer kills brain cells, makes you gain weight, and destroys your liver.

Was like.. ***** I ain't that fat.. YET.

A girl about the same age said "alcohol destroys lives" and got an approving nod from her grandmother. I didn't know what to say. Some battles are not worth fighting. It does irk me that people raise children to be afraid of everything, and cast blanket judgements.

A girl about the same age said "alcohol destroys lives" and got an approving nod from her grandmother. I didn't know what to say. Some battles are not worth fighting. It does irk me that people raise children to be afraid of everything, and cast blanket judgements.

You should have threatened her in a desperate manner, and then huffed and puffed yourself into a panic attack.

The word, if it's your kid, isn't 'afraid' it's 'cautious'. Kids grow up. Grandmothers die. Beer bellies bloat. Etc.

Grog, what a cool looking dog in your picture, what breed? The pic is very small in my app, beagle or basset or something I am guessing

A+ on that topic redirect.

I heard a radio ad today for a recently opened brew pub. They compared their "freshest beer in Idaho" to the ever popular BMC. I just wonder why they would bother. BMC drinkers won't change based on a radio ad from some "froofy $4 a pint place! 'Merica!", and craft drinkers will assume either they don't know beer well enough to make anything good, or recognize it's a full-of-crap marketing technique and avoid the place out of spite.

Fizzycist said:
A+ on that topic redirect.

I heard a radio ad today for a recently opened brew pub. They compared their "freshest beer in Idaho" to the ever popular BMC. I just wonder why they would bother. BMC drinkers won't change based on a radio ad from some "froofy $4 a pint place! 'Merica!", and craft drinkers will assume either they don't know beer well enough to make anything good, or recognize it's a full-of-crap marketing technique and avoid the place out of spite.

Yup.

What exactly is your problem? The piece says, accurately, what "ale" used to mean. It then goes into how the meaning of "ale" has changed over the centuries. Nowhere does it say that the current usage for the word "ale" is wrong. Nor is it trying to "correct" anything.

I helped my best friend on Earth's parents move into Florida this past weekend. I went to the beer distro with his father who was treating me to some beers, he knows I love craft brew....we step into the distro, and he goes, "the imports are over there, I'll be over here" as he moseys on over the the BMC stuff...the "import" section was, of course, the craft brew section. On a side note, I got some CC Jai-Alai and Bell's Two Hearted!

Good LAWD it's a long drive from Long Island to Florida!

Back