Decoction Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can if you want that is the beauty of home brewing. Decoction mashes brings out a lot of malt flavor in a beer so just know what you are getting into before you start to do it on your IIIIIPA hop bomb you want to brew ;)

Also you don't see too many people doing decoction mashes on a home brew level because they add a significant amount of time to your brew day.

Decoction mashes brings out a lot of malt flavor in a beer so just know what you are getting into before you start to do it on your IIIIIPA hop bomb you want to brew ;)

Funny you mention this because I did my first decoction on a rather large IIPA last winter. It's in bottles now and is a little sweeter than I want it but I think that is the honey and high terminal gravity rather than the maltiness of the decoction. Good. Just not great. That said I did get great efficiency for a bigger beer and I thought that it was a pretty fun day.

Brewing TV has a good episode about this method. That is what made me do it rather spontaneously.

Back