Developing another IPA recipe : Phase one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeast Infection

Reaction score
I want to try to make an IPA that is similar to Gordon from Oskar Blues, Lyons, Colorado. I know for the most part that Gordon is a double IPA(ish), but I would like to tone it down and try to stick with in "normal IPA values". For reference to the beer http://www.oskarblues.com/brew/

phase 1: grain bill

Im thinking.....

maris otter 8# 59.3%
2 row 3.5# 25.9%
Belgian biscuit 0.75# 5.6%
carapils 0.5# 3.7%
caravienne 0.75 # 5.6%
a dash of chocolate malt (2oz)

Phase 2: hops
havent figured out hops/hop schedules yet , but shooting for 85 IBUs and a ton of late hop editions, and dry hop with amarillo ( and maybe for a first wort hop too). I've read a little into the Galena varietal, maybe for bittering?

Qbrew predicts:
assuming a 77% mash efficiency
OG 1.070
FG1.018
color 11(srm? i dont know color units off the top of my head)
abv 7.1%

questions/comments?

I have a question.
Why use generic 2-row AND maris otter?
I mean maris otter is 2 row pale malt. I guess if you are working from stores it might make sense but was there a flavor reason?

Otherwise sounds tasty, I'll follow the thread to see how it turns out.
Craig

CBBaron said:
I have a question.
Why use generic 2-row AND maris otter?
I mean maris otter is 2 row pale malt.

Oh, for color reasons. I dont want this to get too dark, and when i had the recipe with all maris otter, the color got to dark, according to the programes Ive run the recipe through.

Do you think there would be a "major" taste difference if i used all maris and said screw the color?

Any hop suggestions or your favorites?

OT, CBBaron.....how bout that "great" Indians game yesterday...haha

Yeast Infection said:
Oh, for color reasons. I dont want this to get too dark, and when i had the recipe with all maris otter, the color got to dark, according to the programes Ive run the recipe through.
Do you think there would be a "major" taste difference if i used all maris and said screw the color?
Any hop suggestions or your favorites?
OT, CBBaron.....how bout that "great" Indians game yesterday...haha
I don't have enough experience to give you any suggestions on flavors but isn't your chocolate and biscuit providing more color than the maris otter? From the positive ravings I have seen on other threads about maris otter I would just use all maris otter. After all whats a point or 2 on the SRM scale. Ofcourse this is coming from the guy who made an "IPA" that looks more like a Nutbrown.
I think I like all hops. I open up a sealed bag of hops or a fermenter with a hoppy beer and take a big whiff. Smells great. Thats why I'm liking your plan of late hop additions and ~85 IBU.

I'm not a baseball fan so maybe you could explain your last comment. I guessing the Rockies beat the Indians yesterday?
[edit] Just checked the web. It appears the Indians blew an easy win against the Yanks. Oh well, the only reason I hope the Indians win is the boost to the downtown economy.
Good luck
Craig

I would skip the regular 2-row and make it up with marris otter. If you are worried about the color, I would skip the chocolate malt as well.

- magno

magno said:
I would skip the regular 2-row and make it up with marris otter. If you are worried about the color, I would skip the chocolate malt as well.

- magno

Agreed.

I'd stick with all Marris Otter.

This was my hop sked for my IIPA :
2 ounces Summit @ 60 mins
1.5 ounces Simcoe @ 45 mins
1.5 ounces Centennial @ 30 mins
1.5 ounces Cascade @ 2 mins
1 ounces cascade dry hop for 14 days
1 ounces centennial dry hop for 10 days

Might be a little much for you, so you could tone it down. I think my next one I'll stick witht he three Cs... Chinook, Cascade and Centennial

the reason for the chocolate malt is that its in the beer im try to approximate, Gordon.

On that note....Gordon has what I preceive as a nutty flavor. Will this grain bill give me that flavor?

ill.literate said:
Agreed.

I'd stick with all Marris Otter.

This was my hop sked for my IIPA :
2 ounces Summit @ 60 mins
1.5 ounces Simcoe @ 45 mins
1.5 ounces Centennial @ 30 mins
1.5 ounces Cascade @ 2 mins
1 ounces cascade dry hop for 14 days
1 ounces centennial dry hop for 10 days

Might be a little much for you, so you could tone it down. I think my next one I'll stick witht he three Cs... Chinook, Cascade and Centennial
Man I love summit! Good stuff. I'll tell you though that 2 ounces is a hell of a lot of it. I used 1/5 an ounce in my IPA and it's perfect bitterness.

Dan

Willsellout said:
Man I love summit! Good stuff. I'll tell you though that 2 ounces is a hell of a lot of it. I used 1/5 an ounce in my IPA and it's perfect bitterness.

Dan

It's REALLY bitter at this point. I tried one about two weeks after bottling, and it's hoppy, no question.

I'm anxious to try another and see if another week or two has mellowed it a bit. :)

Updated recipe:

Maris Otter 8 lbs 57%
2-row 3.5 lbs 25%
Victory malt 1.25 lbs 8.8%
Belgian biscuit 0.75 lbs 5.3%
Carapils 0.5 lbs 3.5%
Chocolate 2 oz <1%

13 srm
estimated OG 1.072

now i have to decide on hops......and it took me a week/ (im anal) to get the grains down.

Here is the final recipe, will be brewing it this weekend.

India Pale Ale
Type: All grain Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 23 HCU (~13 SRM)
Bitterness: 102 IBU
OG: 1.072 FG: 1.015
Alcohol: 7.3% v/v (5.8% w/w)

Grain:
3.5 lb. American 2-row
8 lb. Maris Otter
1.25 lb. American victory
.5 lb. Belgian biscuit
.75 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)