Does this Apfelwein look weird?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I made yet another batch of Ed Wort's Apfelwein on Wednesday. I never have problems with it, but this batch looked a little odd to me. I am not used to seeing it layer like this?

The only changes were Mott's juice instead of the costco premium I normally use. I checked the ingredients and the Mott's seemed to check out.

I racked on top of the starsan foam, I usually use non foaming sanitizer but went with star-san this time. You guy's told me "don't fear the foam" so I went with it :)

Does it look ok? I am not used to Montrachet doing much of anything as far as Krausen goes.
apfel.jpg

Look closely and see if that coloration is from thousands of tiny co2 bubbles. Mine looked a bit like that, though my juice was lighter in color. the montrachet was just so aggressive that it was pouring out co2.

I will look when I get home.. I was looking at it last night and it really looked like the juice was that color, sort of looked like I had poured a little mead on top and it layered up ... it's bubbling away so hopefully its ok

I'm sure its fine. Now that I think about it, mine did get very cloudy like this. Probably just a large amount of yeast multiplying and being suspended in the juice.

Back