Sunday is Brew day, what ya making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
I am doing a small all grain batch of an hoppy IPA. I want to try this small scale batch and see how it comes out before making a big batch. This is what I have brewing.

3 Gallon IPA all Grain
14-B American IPA

Size: 2.5 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 189.48 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.057 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 12.9 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 5.6% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 72.77 (40.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:
3.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.0 lbs Victory® Malt
1.0 lbs Vienna Malt
0.5 lbs German Light Munich
0.3 oz Magnum Pellets (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.3 oz Simcoe Leaf (14.4%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
0.2 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
0.3 oz Simcoe Leaf (14.4%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
0.5 oz Simcoe Leaf (14.4%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
6.0 g Danstar Nottingham
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.20

You can't go wrong with a AIPA. Nice and bitter.

Not brewing anything today. Just drinking a few and getting ready to
bottle 30 bottles of blueberry wine I started last October.

Yesterday was my brew day. Last night, actually. Out there freezing in the cold, huddled around a propane burner in 10 degree weather, cooling my wort in the snow. Very nice and relaxing.

I made Northern Brewer's Scottish Ale kit with just a hint more water and a hint more extract. The OG came out dead-on at 1.047.

With the hops, I soaked them in alcohol to extract the oils and the cohumulone, then I tossed them in the boil to extract the alpha acids. We will see what we get in a few weeks...

I also repitched my Maibock lager that seems to be lagging... one bubble a minute.. at best. Still at 1.036 as of 2 days ago. It's now been three weeks. :(

Not brewing today, I helped Hops-4-Life with his brew yesterday. Hops-4-Life and I are kegging Hopalicoius and racking SNPA2 clone to secondary, also have 3 slaps of ribs on the smoker getting ready for the Daytona 500............:ban: :rockin: :tank:

orfy said:
Good luck.

What the hell is an american IPA.
Isn't it just Amercican pale ale? Or is it an IPA using American ingredients?

Never realized it until I just looked, but BJCP distingusihes between English, American, and Imperial IPAs.

Just did a raspberry wheat last night. Well, at least a wheat - won't be a raspberry til I bottle. A couple of firsts for me though - first wheat beer, first try with a liquid yeast (Wyeast American Wheat), and the first time I used a wort chiller (wow- what a time saver).

Active ferment within a few hours. It's all good.

Not brewing today, the Daytona 500 comes on in a couple hours. Don't want to get distracted. I have Monday off, so I plan to brew a Munich Alt recipe I designed last week. Will probably rack my dunkelroggenweissen to secondary if the gravity is down where I want it. Today I will concentrate on emptying bottles for the next bottling session. :tank:

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Flavoring your raspberry with extract or real berries. Real berries will give you a better flavor and are really easy to use. I have heard that the extracts can give you a distinctively chemical flavor... dunno, never used them myself.

The Pol

The Pol said:
Flavoring your raspberry with extract or real berries. Real berries will give you a better flavor and are really easy to use. I have heard that the extracts can give you a distinctively chemical flavor... dunno, never used them myself.

The Pol

Using extract - this is one of those "will my wife drink it?" kind of efforts. Not something I'd really make for myself, but she's been really supportive of my newfound time consumer despite the fact that she doesn't drink beer herself. Maybe this is a guilt driven attempt - I dunno. :confused:

Yeah, if this comes out even moderately successful I'll try the real fruit in my next go 'round. :)

Since you say that today is brew day I must share what I am making. I am 30 minutes into the boil on the Austin Homebrew clone recipe for Alaskan Amber.

Currently drinking an IPA that was brewed around christmas time. This is my 6th all grain, and although my calculations still are off here and there, for the most part its all coming together. Good hobby

the_bird said:
Never realized it until I just looked, but BJCP distingusihes between English, American, and Imperial IPAs.

:off:

I ignore that stuff.

They make up new beer styles that isn't anything to do with real styles. I know they need classification for judging but why can't an IPA be an IPA. When you think about it an IPA is a particular style of ale with a particular style.
Sorry man but there is no such thing as an Amercian IPA. It's an IPA brewed in America, if it's not in the original IPA style then it's not IPA it's something else. It's the same as all these IPA double and stuff that people brew. It's not IPA it's a special strong ale.:confused:

Sorry, just my rant.
You can have the thread back now.

Yes I know.....EAC and beer snob.

Brew Day! This is my first brew so about a month from now... we'll see how it turns out. It is the usual West Coast Pale Ale. My hopes are high.:rockin: Other than that, just sucking back on the store bought stuff.:tank:

orfy said:
:off:

I ignore that stuff.

They make up new beer styles that isn't anything to do with real styles. I know they need classification for judging but why can't an IPA be an IPA. When you think about it an IPA is a particular style of ale with a particular style.
Sorry man but there is no such thing as an Amercian IPA. It's an IPA brewed in America, if it's not in the original IPA style then it's not IPA it's something else. It's the same as all these IPA double and stuff that people brew. It's not IPA it's a special strong ale.:confused:

Sorry, just my rant.
You can have the thread back now.

Yes I know.....EAC and beer snob.

I think I respectfully disagree with you here. I'm not sure I believe that "triple IPAs" exist, but I do think there's an important distinction between "American" IPAs and "English" IPAs. Is it any different than the difference between a traditional, English-style pale ale and an APA? There is enough of a difference in the flavors from the hops where segregating them makes sense to me.

But, it's not something that's going to piss me off, one way or the other...

the_bird said:
I think I respectfully disagree with you here. I'm not sure I believe that "triple IPAs" exist, but I do think there's an important distinction between "American" IPAs and "English" IPAs. Is it any different than the difference between a traditional, English-style pale ale and an APA? There is enough of a difference in the flavors from the hops where segregating them makes sense to me.

But, it's not something that's going to piss me off, one way or the other...

What I'm saying is English Pale Ales and India Pale ales and APAs are different but an IPA is a specific Ale brewed with Specific ingredients so if it is modified from that it is no longer and IPA. It's the same way New Zealand Lamb can only brew bread in New Zealand. It's not the lamb that's the important bit.

But like you say it doesn't matter enough to piss me off. In fact it doesn't make one bit of difference how beers in the States are categorised apart from it confuses the styles of "Real" beers to hell.:D
:mug:

I'm only messing with the tread 'cause I ain't brewing and have nothing constructive to add.:eek:

OK, I guess I see what you're saying; the IPA derived from a specific historical context. Changing the ingredients (a la American IPAs) removes the IPA from that context, which you feel makes it no longer an IPA. That sum it up?

If so, I see what you're saying... but I guess I place more weight on the attributes of the IPA (the hoppiness, high gravity, etc.) than on the specific ingredients chosen. I think I might agree agree with you in the case of an Imperial IPA, where not only the ingredients have changed, but also the OG, the amount of IBUs, and the residual body.

But again, semantics kind of bore me :D

the_bird said:
OK, I guess I see what you're saying; the IPA derived from a specific historical context. Changing the ingredients (a la American IPAs) removes the IPA from that context, which you feel makes it no longer an IPA. That sum it up?

If so, I see what you're saying... but I guess I place more weight on the attributes of the IPA (the hoppiness, high gravity, etc.) than on the specific ingredients chosen. I think I might agree agree with you in the case of an Imperial IPA, where not only the ingredients have changed, but also the OG, the amount of IBUs, and the residual body.

But again, semantics kind of bore me :D

You got it but then Why class it as AIPA instead of IPA. You Don't Do American Scottich Wee Heaveys, just Scottich Wee Heaveys. (Maybe you don't) I can't be arsed looking at the styles.

orfy said:
You got it but then Why class it as AIPA instead of IPA. You Don't Do American Scottich Wee Heaveys, just Scottich Wee Heaveys. (Maybe you don't) I can't be arsed looking at the styles.

I suppose because, even in the U.S., you're going to hop a Wee Heavy with varieties that would traditionally be found in Scottish brews; you're not going to loading it up with Cascades. The ingredients for a Wee Heavy are going to be pretty similar wherever it is brewed, while people making IPAs do not feel the need for that consistency. Ergo, split the category, call the ones that are brewed more-or-less in line with historical standards E-IPAs, and those that are brewed with US-type flavors A-IPAs.

Of course, I'm sure someone out there is formulating a recipe for a Wee Heavy with Amarillo and Sorachi Ace, but that's besides the point... ;)

Amazing that two people who don't really care will keep talking about this... :D

Brewed last night, first time doing a partial mash. Tried a whole-bean version of Vanilla Cream Ale, take 2 after trying Cheesefood's Boom-Boom Vanilla and using waaay too much extract. This one smelled fantastic out of the boil:

1 lbs. American Caramel 10°L
2 lbs. German 2-row Pils
1 lbs. German Wheat Malt Light
3 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
.33 oz. Galena (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
2 grams Vanilla Beans (15 mins.)
2 grams Vanilla Beans (secondary)
Yeast : White Labs WLP001 California Ale

(from BeerTools)

didnt brew today, but did yesterday.
its a lager.
Dont know much about styles so dont have a clue what it is. if dark lager is a style then thats what i would call it.
you decide

9.5 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs crystal 60L
.25 lbs roast barley
.25 lbs chocolate malt
2oz kent golding
with some dry lager yeast dont know what kind it was but it came in a white packet.

something amber

1lb dark dme
3.3lb amber j bull lme
1 1/2 c corn sugar
1 oz hallertau p (4aau's)

full time boil w 3 gallons distilled h2o ( my water has to much iron)
and 1/2 oz hops

just cleaning out the locker:ban:
smelled good goin into the primary:rockin:

Back