Steeping Grains: Wort vs. Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavagai

Reaction score
Though there has been discussion on volumes of steeping water, I haven't seen anything on the practice of adding malt extract to your steeping water, thus steeping your grains in wort. I believe that the reasoning behind this is the same as steeping in low volumes of water: to make sure the steeping liquid has a low enough pH to limit tannin extraction. I've also read that steeping in wort may limit extraction of sugars as well. I haven't had any problems with tannic beer, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience or theoretical knowledge in this area.

My understanding has always been that if steeped in a proper volume of water, steeping grains have relatively little risk of tannin extraction. Anecdotally, I've never had any problems steeping in just plain water. If adding DME will limit grain utilization, what's the advantage?

Not meaning to sound negative. It just seems like a solution to a non-problem. :mug:

Back