First Yeast Starter.....does this look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pale Horse

Reaction score
I'm brewing tomorrow, so I decided to make my first 2 starters, one with a stir plate and another I just put in a sanitized milk jug and have been shaking when I walk past it

I mixed a cup of DME with 2 cups of water and boiled for 15 mins, then cooled and pitched the yeast, that was Friday at like midnight

So, does this look about right?

Figured I'd ask tonight that way it gives me enough time to run to the LHBS before it closes tomorrow

IMG00126-20101120-2311.jpg

Looks like it's working.....a bit. You might have mixed a pretty hot starter. The normal rate is about 1/2 cup dme to 2 cups water. Or 10 grams per 100 ml. It might take a little more time.

Looks like yeast in there to me. I like to let mine work down till they clear. But many people pitch starters at high krausen. <shrug>

You might want to dilute that down. 1 cup of DME is about 8 ozs. In 2 cups of water, that would make it 1.175.

Anyone want to tell me where my numbers are wrong.

1.175 is not going to get the yeast going. The osmotic pressure on the yeast may kill it. For a starter you need a wort of about 1.030/1.035, which is about 12 ozs of DME in a gallon, or 1.5 ozs in 1 pint.

My recommendation is to dilute it to about a 4 pints and let it go for a week.

Yeah with only 2 cups water and a 15 minute boil, that starter ain't doing you much good. I typically start with 6 cups water to 1 cup DME....after the boil that nets me the 1.040 gravity I am looking for.

If I were you, I'd boil some water, cool it off and add it to your starter.

Latest posts

Back