Wyeast equivalent to Danstar Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Just curious what a good Wyeast equivalent to Danstar Nottingham there is. Any suggestions?

I use Nottingham for everything, ales, stouts, even pseudo lagers. It's a very neutral low ester production, fast yeast. 1056 is going to be the Wyeast "do all" neutral ale yeast for 4 times the price.

I don't think 1028 (London Ale) is very similar to Nottingham. Yes, it finishes dry, and compared with most British yeasts has very little fruitiness, but it has oodles of character that isn't present in Nottingham.
I think (like faststage1 said) that 1056 is the closest I've tried (but there are many I haven't tried). They both ferment very cleanly, producing a beer where the yeast doesn't contribute any special flavors to the final brew.

-a.

I don't think 1028 (London Ale) is very similar to Nottingham. Yes, it finishes dry, and compared with most British yeasts has very little fruitiness, but it has oodles of character that isn't present in Nottingham.
I think (like faststage1 said) that 1056 is the closest I've tried (but there are many I haven't tried). They both ferment very cleanly, producing a beer where the yeast doesn't contribute any special flavors to the final brew.

-a.

I should admit, i've never brewed with the London ale yeast. I'll believe ajf before the wyeast quip anyday.

OK, so maybe I should try the Nottingham, but a few questions first. I've never used a dry yeast, so I have to work outside my comfort zone. I've heard some people say you don't need a starter with dry yeast. Is this true? I've also never made a starter and was planning on it for my next brew. What's the process for making a starter with dry yeast? Do you need to rehydrate before pitching into your starter? What is the rehydration process for dry yeast? Sorry for being so ignorant...just trying to take my brewing to the next level, so I'll be doing several things that I've never done before. Partial mash, starter, and possibly dry yeast!!

don't do a starter for dry yeast. i would recommend rehydrating it prior to use (others will say just dump it in, which seems to work too), but rehydrating will maximize the cell count. nottingham is a champ, definitely try it.

Just curious what a good Wyeast equivalent to Danstar Nottingham there is. Any suggestions?

IMO 1028 London Ale is about as close as you are going to get to Nottingham. They are both British strains with high levels of attenuation. If you sub one for the other you will be fine. In Brewing Classic Styles Jamil lists Nottingham as the dry substitute for Wyeast 1028

WLP039 is the Nottingham strain. I know you asked for wyeast but if you just want a liquid version...

I brew my English porters with 1028 and it's not even close to Notty. I would say Notty if anything is closer to 1056 from my experience.

1028 is BOLD!!!!! It's out of place even in an English bitter.

There many to pick from if you look at Northern Brewers inventory. There are alot of similarities

Look for High Flocculation (or sedimentation) and a high percentage of attenuation (creating alcohol). Then check the temp range you can manage to control.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/yeast

The Nottingham strain was selected for its highly flocculent (precipitating) and relatively full attenuation (transforming sugar into alcohol) properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for an ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt to develop. Good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures, 14°C (57°F), allow this strain to brew lager-style beer. Optimum temp: 57°-70° F

You are getting way to worried about your yeast. If you're trying to find a liquid yeast that matches a dry yeast you are throwing your money away. Just pour the dry yeast into some warm water. Not hot, just warm to the touch. It's hard to kill dry yeast. Let it sit for about a half hour before you pitch.

If you want to compare based on stats online it'll be incredibly close to 1028, and I also suspect Pacman. I haven't used Pacman.

But the flavor compared to 1028 is not even close. IMO.

Back