Current Sammy Seasonal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
Does anyone have or know of an extract/mash version of this? I haven't brewed in 15 yrs but was doing all grain batches before and I'm not afraid to tackle an all grain brew for my comeback if I had some direction. This beer is not hoppy at all and although I'm a hophead, many of my Christmas guests will not be and that is my targeted serving date.

I'm guessing the Winter Lager...Love this beer!

As for recipes not too sure. I dont Lager but I believe a few years ago I bought a Winter Ale AG kit from Northern that tasted similar.

From BYO:

Ingredients

6.6 lbs. Briess wheat malt extract syrup
1.5 lbs. crystal malt (60° Lovibond)
1 lb. wheat malt
1.5 lbs. Munich malt (20° Lovibond)
1 teaspoon Irish moss
1 oz. Curacáo orange peel (bitter orange peel)
0.5 oz. ginger root (freshly grated)
0.5 tsp. cinnamon (powdered)
9.5 AAU East Kent Goldings
(2 oz. of 4.75% alpha acid)
4.5 AAU Tettnanger
(1 oz. of 4.5% alpha acid)
4.7 AAU Hallertau Hersbrucker
(1 oz. of 4.7% alpha acid)
3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
German Lager yeast (White Labs WLP830) or Bavarian Lager yeast (Wyeast 2206)
Step by Step
Steep the grains in 2.5 gallons of water at 150º F for 30 minutes. Strain out the grains, add the wheat malt syrup and return to a boil. When the wort begins boiling, add East Kent Golding hops, Irish moss, and boil for 60 minutes. Add spices for the last 15 minutes of the boil. *** ***
Add Tettnanger and Hallertau hops for the last 2 minutes of the boil. Remove from heat and cool wort in ice bath or with wort chiller. Transfer to fermentation vessel (glass carboy). Add enough cold water to the wort to bring the volume up to 5.5 gallons. Pitch yeast and ferment at 50º to 55º F for 3 to 4 weeks. Prime, then bottle or keg. You should lager this beer for about 4 weeks prior to serving.
All-Grain Option: Replace the wheat malt syrup with 3.5 pounds of pale malt. Increase the Munich malt to 4 pounds and the wheat malt to 4 pounds. Also change the boiling hops to a smaller quantity, 7 AAU (1.5 oz of 4.75% alpha acid). I would suggest a two-step mash schedule for this beer. This involves doing a 30-minute protein rest at 122º F, followed by 60 minutes at 155º F. *** *** ***

Note that the quantity of boiling hops are slightly lower for the all-grain batch. This is due to the greater hop extract efficiency that results from a full boil of the entire wort volume. The remainder of the hop, spice additions and fermenting instructions are the same as the above extract-with-grains recipe instructions.

Interesting BYO uses all wheat. While the Sam site does recommend "generous portions" of wheat, it also has pale 2-row in it...

I would probably convert above recipe to all-grain, do it with 50/50 ratio of the base grains, and the specialty grains. Obviously the most important item here is you will need to lager it. I'm sure Sam has a proprietary strand they use, but the German Lager yeast mentioned above or if there are any yeasts specifically for Bock type beers (don't know haven't brewed one - just starting lagering now), that would probably be best.

Yes, I was referring to the Winter Lager. I had it last night and loved it.

Back