Apfelwein experiments (Rasberry, Brown Sugar, Yeast nutrient)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclejimbay

Reaction score
So my wife and I did several brews/wines this weekend with our friend Graham Cracker. This was our first attempt wine so we will see how it goes. The wine was easier than brewing, just some new measurements and ingredients....

It was quite a weekend with 2 brews and 4 wines. All are currently tucked away nicely at 66 F in the fermentation fridge. Active fermentation is progressing nicely on all with very short lag time (~8-10 hrs on each).

Here is a quick summary what we made...

WINES

* 5G batch of Edwort's Apfelwein
(original 5G recipe w/ 2# corn sugar), OG = 1.073
* 1G test batch of Apfelwein
(mod w/ 8oz corn sugar, 1# of canned rasberries, 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient)
OG = 1.072
* 1G test batch of Apfelwein
(mod w/ 10oz dark brown sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient)
OG = 1.080
* 6G batch of Cellar Craft California Pinot Noir Kit. This one clocked @ 1.082 OG.

ALES;

* 5G batch or our standard House Honey Wheat. This our standard 7# wheat, 3# honey recipe that clocks in at ~6.8% ABV (OG~1.068). NOTE - A blow off tube is required on this 5G recipe in a 6G carboy!!!

* 2G test batch of an "ApPils Ale". 2 gallons of apple juice with 2#7oz of Pils LME. The one should be about 7.6% ABV (OG~1.073).

I will post an update on these on this thread at bottling and/or tasting once I have more useful info to share.

2009 brews/wines in progress (as of 5/17/09);
House Honey Wheat (6G carboy)
Ap-Pils Ale (2G Test Batch, 3# Pils HME w/ 2G Apple Juice)
Edwort's Apfelwein (6G carboy)
Edwort's Apfelwein (1G test batch w/ 1# of rasberries)
Edwort's Apfelwein (1G test batch w/ 10oz dark brown sugar)
Pinot Noir wine (7.9G bucket, my 1st Cellar Craft wine kit)

Here is the recipe as requested. I have listed the most basic version of this recipe - which is the most popular home brew for the masses. My next batch of this recipe will be a split yeast experiment (T58 vs. WB-06) with maybe some Crystal 20. I have made this brew many times and sometimes tweak it with various additional seasonal ingredients at the end of th boil. (Clove, Orange Peel & Coriander, Razzbeeries, Bluebeerries, etc)

Brew Log - JamMin's House Honey Wheat, 5 gallon batch
Batch# 200905.06.18
Brewers: JamMin!, CG
Brewed: 5/17/09
Bottled: TBD

OG = 1.068, est max ABV=6.9%, SRM=4, ~ 23 IBUs, 119 cp12os

Recipe:
* Fermentables: 6# Wheat LME @ 65%, ~2.5# Honey @ ~25%, 1# Wheat DME 10%
* Water: Walmart spring water
* Hop Schedule: 1.0 oz Sterling @ 60 minutes (~23 IBUs, w/ 3g boil)
* Yeast: Safale US 05 (59-75 range)
* Ferm Plan: Use a 6 gallon BB carboy w/ airlock, @ 68 ambient temp for 10-14 days

Notes;

5/21/09
6AM - Blow off tube is still actively bubbling, krausen is starting to settle down a bit.
5/18/09
6AM - The blowoff rig is going crazy (80bpm)! The overflow bottle was bubbling over. I cleaned it, checked the hose for clogs, sanitized the rig, and placed it all back in place.
6PM- blow tube was still @ 80bpm!
5/17/09 Sunday
1-3PM
Brewed w/ just shy of 3# of honey (NB Amber blend). Yeast pitched in ~89F wort @ 3:30PM. This was our first 3G boil. We made an ice chill bath for the brew pot. Then we topped with 2G of cold water from fridge and it chilled in less than 30 minutes to 89F. Siphoned to a 6G BB carboy.
3-8PM @ 74 amb temp w/ no activity yet.
8PM - Moved to 66F ferm fridge and added a blow off rig (which I confirmed is REQUIRED for a 6G carboy!!!).
9PM - the blow off rig was starting to have some small burps @ 3bpm.

Back