Is a Turkey Fryer propane burner enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugu

Reaction score
For a Keggle? 10-12 gallons

I'm getting 2 maybe 3 Sankes for 15$ each from some local kid and I see a Turkey Fryer new in box for 10$ on CL as well.

The Sankes were just to cheap to pass up even though I don't plan to change over to propane/outdoor/10g batches anytime soon. Though it's tempting considering I also have a 15 gallon HDPE drum I got for 10$ that screams fermentor.

Can anyone tell me off hand what it costs to stick a weldless fitting in a Keggle?

Sorry about not searching but I'm sleepy

Weldless fittings run between 25-40 bucks depending on SS or brass, and who you get them from. Then you need a step drill to cut through the kettle. Which run only like 6 bucks from lowes / homedepot etc.

As far as the turkey fryer of course it depends on its rated BTU's. But in most cases YES they will boil 10 gallons, although the lower the BTU rating the longer it takes to get to boil.

I can vouch for the KAB5 banjo fryer being ideal for keggles. I wish my brew kettle was a keggle, as the 9gal SS pot I have is actually a bit small for my burner.

Well, I figure you are too lazy to search, you might be too lazy to install a weldless drain, you might be better off just using a syphon out of the kettle.:mug:

I bought a "cheap" turkey freyer on clearance at Lowe's. The btu's must be pretty low because it takes a pretty good while to get ten gallons boiling. Once it heats up it maintains a good rolling boil but it takes a while to get started.

To combat this, I've started adding my first runnings to the pot then starting the burner. By the time I add the runnings from the first sparge it's just about to boil. And again it's about to boil before I add the third runnings. This way it gets the full batch boiling much quicker.

I think I'm loosing quite a bit of heat around the bottom. For my next project, I'm thinking of rigging up some type of enclosure around the burner. Something that will block the wind but still allow the burner to breathe.

One other consideration is the size of the keg v/s. the size of the burner stand. My keg overhangs the sides and it's pretty "wobbly".

Here's my temporary solution to firm it up.

1620052.jpg

The bulk of the weight is supported by the burner stand but the bricks just barely touch it and provide extra support and stability.

Good luck with yours.

I can vouch for the KAB5 banjo fryer being ideal for keggles. I wish my brew kettle was a keggle, as the 9gal SS pot I have is actually a bit small for my burner.

I love that "Jet Engine" sound, don't you?

I used a borrowed turkey fryer burner before I got my banjo. I get a rolling boil in about a third the time now.

:rockin:

Do yourself a favor, and buy weld fittings! Weldless fittings suck! They require maintenance, and leak!

When you have a full boil, the last thing you want is a leak to start!

A turkey burner is good enough to do full boils!

Do yourself a favor, and buy weld fittings! Weldless fittings suck! They require maintenance, and leak!

When you have a full boil, the last thing you want is a leak to start!

A turkey burner is good enough to do full boils!

Incorrectly installed weldless fittings leak. It's not fair, or correct, to say they all do. Also, what maintenance are you talking about? Replacing an oring every couple of years?

I'm going on 4+ years using mine, and have never had a leak. You can easily get all the parts, minus the silicone oring from Lowes or Homedepot. Expect to pay about 15 bux or so for the brass version. Silicone orings can be picked up at a lhbs, or places like morebeer.

On the turkey burner that I used to use we raised the burner so that it was closer to the brew pot and that helped. Also we still siphon out of our keg. I've heard too many stories about screens getting clogged and still having to siphon.

Back