efficiency gurus, rate my wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
I had

7 lbs of pilsener
4 lbs munich
1/2 lb german dark crystal
1/4 lb german medium crystal
1/4 lb german melanoidin

and came up exactly 5 gallons of wort with OG of 1.065 (temp corrected).

seems pretty good to me, especially since the grains were milled like 3 or 4 weeks ago or so...

I get just short of 75%. Not bad! Just goes to show that pre-milled grain does not deteriorate as some would like to believe.

Mikey said:
I get just short of 75%. Not bad! Just goes to show that pre-milled grain does not deteriorate as some would like to believe.

When I have read about this deterioration here, I had thought that efficiency was not the deteriation that was being talked about.

mysterio said:
Same here, I thought it was taste deterioration.

Possibly so, but since taste doesn't seem to be affected either (according to my own experience) I think the old grain myth is busted.

BTW, we went to West microbrewery several times during our stay as well as many other great pubs.

Wonderful city you have !

Mikey said:
Possibly so, but since taste doesn't seem to be affected either (according to my own experience) I think the old grain myth is busted.

BTW, we went to West microbrewery several times during our stay as well as many other great pubs.

Wonderful city you have !

Ah! Cool. They do some nice beers. Last time I went they had a great IPA. What other pubs did you visit?

I was over in Toronto in July and checked out some of the microbreweries there. Great time!

mysterio said:
Ah! Cool. They do some nice beers. Last time I went they had a great IPA. What other pubs did you visit?

Three Judges on Dumbarton Road in Partick was a favourite as well as the Pot Still downtown. There was another on George Square in a converted bank (can't remember the name) that featured a good selection of real ales.

We spent most of our time in the Bearsden area. There was a pub called Lock 27 right on the canal that certainly saw the inside of my wallet.........:mug:

Latest posts

Back