Adventures in brewing, Vol. III, part 2...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I'm not really a beginner, but I'm putting this thread here because it's been almost a year since I brewed up a batch I'm really rusty.

So, I brew up an American Amber Ale last weekend, and I've got the wort cooled and am pouring it into the carboy and it's getting really, really full, but there's still about a half gallon or more of wort in the pot. I kind of shrug and end up dumping the excess into the snow and pretty much chalk it up as one of life's little mysteries.

Anyway, today I go to get a carboy cleaned up and sanitized to use for a secondary and something is just not right. I should have two 5 gallon carboys to choose from, but instead I have one 5 and one 6. Hmmm....

Boy, am I ever a nerd! Turns out that last week when I thought I was filling a 6 gallon carboy with wort, it was really a 5 gallon. I guess I have just made a 4 gallon batch of beer.

Well, fewer bottles to fill and cap, I guess.

Back