calcium build up in glass carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecheberline

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get the calcium build up out of my carboys? Please help it looks like crap

I have the same issue in one that was recenltly given to me, I'm gonna try some clr (calcium, lime, and rust) product on it when I get around to it

Try acid. It should remove it

This.
I pour small volume of hydrochloric acid (HCl) in carboy and shake it minute or two, it will be bright and shine. Just rinse it well after that.

Does anyone know how to get the calcium build up out of my carboys? Please help it looks like crap

Mix up a half cup of vinegar with a quart of water, swirl it around, let it sit, repeat until you can see the mineral deposits are removed. Then drain, rinse well and drip dry...

Cheers!

The problem with these is that you can really easily scratch the glass around the opening of the carboy with the spinning metal rod that is going thru it.

Trying to keep the metal from touching the glass with this is like playing the game Operation with a power drill and holding it in place for 2 minutes. (How's that gonna work out for you?)

Once the glass is scratched you may as well recycle the carboy.

Electric Overkill

Even my most crusty (triple chocolate RIS) carboys come clean when soaked for a few hours in warm (~120?F) water with two tablespoons of Oxyclean Free swirled in.

I haven't used a carboy brush in years, never mind considered actually motorized cleaning...

Cheers!

Go the vinegar or CLR route, and clean afterward.

Do not waste your PBW, it's an alkali and you need an acid to remove mineral deposits. PBW won't remove mineral deposits, especially if you have hard water. You can use PBW to clean it afterward if you like. If you do have hard water, which many people in the US do, it's common for the mineral deposits to build up again over time (a known issue when combining PBW and hard water). Just give them an acid bath every 3-4 brews and they'll always be sparkly.

Back