Fist yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I'm trying my first yeast starter from my first attempt from some harvested yeast. Is the foam on top normal?

image-4077865918.jpg

Yes, the foam is normal, just like krausen in the beer. It almost looks like it's done, how long has been gong? Most starters will finish in 18-24 hours, then you can cold crash, decant and pitch

duboman said:
Yes, the foam is normal, just like krausen in the beer. It almost looks like it's done, how long has been gong? Most starters will finish in 18-24 hours, then you can cold crash, decant and pitch

It's only been going for about 2 hours or so. Do I still need to swirl it around if its on a stir plate? What do you mean by cold crashing and decant?

duboman said:

It's only been going for about 2 hours. How do I tell when it's done? What do you mean by cold crash and decant?

No you don't need to swirl it if it is on a stir plate.

Cold Crash: Put flask in fridge after 12 - 16 hours on the stir plate. The yeast will fall to the bottom and separate from the wort.

Decant: Pour off most of the wort before pitching. Because you cold crashed this is pretty easy to do as the yeast is all at the bottom. Just take it slow so you don't put the yeast back in suspension.

If it's on a stir plate, don't bother swirling it. Cold Crash and decant means to put it in the fridge for long enough (overnight +/-) for most of the yeast to settle out so that you can pour or decant the fermented starter wort off of the yeast. Not everyone does this, particularly if the starter has been going for 24 hours as opposed to several days. 2 hours is probably a little early to use, depending on what your starter goals are. I definitely wouldn't worry about the cold crash/decanting if you are planning on using it within a few hours of starting it, but using a starter that soon somewhat diminishes the purpose. That is unless you were doing the starter just to check yeast viability.

hypergolic said:
No you don't need to swirl it if it is on a stir plate.

Cold Crash: Put flask in fridge after 12 - 16 hours on the stir plate. The yeast will fall to the bottom and separate from the wort.

Decant: Pour off most of the wort before pitching. Because you cold crashed this is pretty easy to do as the yeast is all at the bottom. Just take it slow so you don't put the yeast back in suspension.

How do I tell when the starter is finished?

AndrewD said:
If it's on a stir plate, don't bother swirling it. Cold Crash and decant means to put it in the fridge for long enough (overnight +/-) for most of the yeast to settle out so that you can pour or decant the fermented starter wort off of the yeast. Not everyone does this, particularly if the starter has been going for 24 hours as opposed to several days. 2 hours is probably a little early to use, depending on what your starter goals are. I definitely wouldn't worry about the cold crash/decanting if you are planning on using it within a few hours of starting it, but using a starter that soon somewhat diminishes the purpose. That is unless you were doing the starter just to check yeast viability.

What am I looking for in checking the yeast viability? So if I'm understanding you correctly, I will put the starter in the refrigerator overnight and pore off the wort and leaving as much of the trube as possible in the flask.

AndrewD said:
Check my post above. For more elaborate information, tell us what your goal was for doing the starter.

Well my main goal was two fold. 1) to see if I properly harvested the yeast correctly 2) to start working on better more consistent beer.

that bit of foam you see. that's what you're looking for. and yep, you're understanding correctly ;)

What am I looking for in checking the yeast viability? So if I'm understanding you correctly, I will put the starter in the refrigerator overnight and pore off the wort and leaving as much of the trube as possible in the flask.

Since you have the beginning of krausen you now the yeast is viable and beginning to ferment. Keep it on the stir plate and you will see some additional krausen form but not much. In 18-24 hours (depending on the gravity of the wort) the foam will disappear and you know it's done.

Then place the flask in the fridge for 12-24 hours and all the yeast will drop out and make a nice cake on the bottom, decant the wort off the top leaving a small bit of beer to mix up into a slurry that you can then pitch

duboman said:
Since you have the beginning of krausen you now the yeast is viable and beginning to ferment. Keep it on the stir plate and you will see some additional krausen form but not much. In 18-24 hours (depending on the gravity of the wort) the foam will disappear and you know it's done.

Then place the flask in the fridge for 12-24 hours and all the yeast will drop out and make a nice cake on the bottom, decant the wort off the top leaving a small bit of beer to mix up into a slurry that you can then pitch

I'm wanting to use this on a 5 gal batch. So would I leave about 1000-1250 ml to pitch?

WTexan said:
I'm wanting to use this on a 5 gal batch. So would I leave about 1000-1250 ml to pitch?

No you can decant almost all the liquid and just leave a small amount to swirl up

Latest posts

Back