New Grill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The last grill I got was a Weber and that was about 10 years ago. It is safe to say I got my moneys worth out of it.

It is time to get a new one. Do you guys have opinions of which one?

Thanks,
Chris :ban:

What are you primarily interested in? Grilling? Smoking? How much space do you have? What's your budget?

I would love an BGE but I have a nice smoker and it will do for now. I do need a new grill though.

I would imagine (without pricing them) a new grill would be $500+

I think you answered your own question. "I got a grill 10 years ago, it was a Weber..." I'd say get another Weber.

I spent $350 on a Ducane (it's a Weber subsidiary now). Here's the thread where we talked about different grills. I like it a lot; it heats up like a mofo, doesn't seem to have any "dead" spots.... just does a real good job. Built very solid, as well.

Best thing I ever did was to spend a bit extra for a high quality, no nonsense gas grill that hooked up to the house gas.

It was an MHP (Modern Home Products) brand. Same company that builds those public park grills that last for generations.

If you're going to be around for a while...think about a natural gas hookup. I grill 3-5 times a week, year round and never think twice about my gas.

We no need no stinking side burners.
grill.jpg

Mine is 11 years old and just last year I replaced the actual burner.

Best thing I ever did was to spend a bit extra for a high quality, no nonsense gas grill that hooked up to the house gas.

If you're going to be around for a while...think about a natural gas hookup. I grill 3-5 times a week, year round and never think twice about my gas.

We no need no stinking side burners.

+1 on the natural gas, a few months ago I bought this beauty from Blue Ember, and it's GREAT to be liberated from propane tanks. I never enjoyed those frequent trips for refills.

I use the "stinking side burner" to fire my HLT. :D

a9a72103-e6a3-4e74-88fe-98d8f731d9cf_4.jpg

I have a kenmore that I'm very happy with. I had one for 2 years before my ex threw it off the 2nd story deck after a breakup, and he replaced it with another Kenmore that I've had for 2.5 years without issue. It heats up quick, has 4 burners plus a side burner, is easy to clean, lights quickly and there's a huge amount of temperature control. This is probably the closest to what I have. I've had great luck with it and love it, but if you had a weber for 10 years, it might be worth getting a weber again.

I'd expect to spend at least $400 on the grill. I'd go to the store and see if you can get closeouts now that it's the end of summer, or maybe a scratch/dent one if you're not worried about minor cosmetic stuff.

I have one of these:

http://www.chargriller.com/openimage.php?img=/upload/330/large/236.jpg

For $160 it's a great grill. I would LOVE to get my hands on a BGE but I just don't have that kind of money to spend on a grill. The only issue I have with this one is the less than spectacular temperature control. With some trial and error I've figured out how to keep it at 225F with only having to add a handful or two of charcoal every hour but you have to add it every hour. Long smokes are pretty much out of the question but I can do up to 5 racks of spareribs, maybe more depending on the size, without a problem.

Back