URGENT: Blown my top!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calvinfan1

Reaction score
I've got a PM Wheat in the primary. It's been in there for about 3 days now. It has foamed up through the airlock! What do I need to do in this situation?

If you are using a bucket for a primary you can stick a length of siphon tubing where your airlock would normally go and run that to a container of sanitiser.

Calvinfan1 said:
I've got a PM Wheat in the primary. It's been in there for about 3 days now. It has foamed up through the airlock! What do I need to do in this situation?

In the future, I'd get some large-diameter vinyl tubing from lowes as a blowoff tube. A-like-a-so:

hopwhoreblowoff.jpg

In the meantime...take off the airlock, clean and sanitize it. Then take a sanitized vinyl racking tube and fit it onto the interior "nub" on your airlock (assuming you have a 3-piece airlock), and run the other end into a bucket of sanitizer solution.

You guys are quick. I went to Lowe's and bought some PVC to assemble a blow off tube like the one bradsul posted. What should I expect? Do I just leave it on until I transfer to the secondary?:confused:

I usually ended up leaving mine on until primary fermentation was finished. Once the krausen starts dying down and there is no more risk of blow-off you can safely remove it if you want to however.

:off: We should probably get some pictures of some different blow-off tubes on the wiki page. I've actually never even seen that style except for on the wiki. Evan!'s picture is a good one of the more common type (though I'm sure sure it's appropriate given one of the words on the label :D).

Back