No fizz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maybemutlee

Reaction score
I've just opened a lager bottled two and a half weeks ago and it has no fizz!!
The colour is nice and clear and the taste is fine. Will it carbonate more over time or is it done?

maybemutlee said:
I've just opened a lager bottled two and a half weeks ago and it has no fizz!!
The colour is nice and clear and the taste is fine. Will it carbonate more over time or is it done?

Ok well from what I know maybe you did not mix the priming sugar in well enough. I had that happen to me. I opened one bottle and nothing. Opened the next and the cap shot off from all the carb. It could also be to cold. Did you prime the whole batch or each bottle? I switched to these tabs you put in each bottle. Can't mess it up other then putting to much of them in one bottle. But you would know if you did that because the bottle will explode.
Warm them up and give it a week. Maybe you can prime each bottle and recap.

I used carbonation drops so each bottle got the right amount. Was told not to bother stirring them because they would dissolve. I think they were more in the 18-20c or 64-68f range so it looks like that was the cause. I've put a heater in the brewery to up it by a couple of degrees and will give it another week.
Any other ideas guys?

Three weeks minimum at 72 degrees. Then 1 to 3 weeks in fridge.
After conditioning at 72 put in fridge, after one week open one. If not carbed well open another the following week and so on.
You would be surprised at how long some beers take to carb fully.
Slainte

Thanks for the help and advice guys. I was a bit nervous about losing it all but I feel a whole world better now.
Had a second bottle this afternoon and it wasn't as bad either. Good times ahead!

image-1073814998.jpg

Hmmm...That beer looks kind of hazy. I think it needs a bit more time in the bottle warm and then more time in the refrigerator to let the proteins drop out. It's hard to be patient but that's what it takes to get premium beer.

I'm with JBird on this one. I too have mixed the priming sugar incorrectly and ended up with flat beer. Friends of mine have had inconsistent results from priming the bottles so I just do the whole batch at once in the bottling bucket. My results have been much more consistent that way.

You know that's why a place like this is awesome. I was doing what I was told to do at the brew shop so I assumed it was right. It never occurrd to me to prime the whole brew. But now I think I will. Great idea.
Oh and the beer looks a bit hazy because of the frosted glass, although I'm sure it's not as clear as it could be. True that waiting is the hardest part.
On the upside...it's a really nice drink. It's going to be superb given time.
Cheers again guys!!!

Three weeks minimum at 72 degrees. Then 1 to 3 weeks in fridge.
After conditioning at 72 put in fridge, after one week open one. If not carbed well open another the following week and so on.
You would be surprised at how long some beers take to carb fully.
Slainte

I"m finding this out now. Some carb up in a week and some have been a month and still not carbed up. Good thing I got plenty of others ready to drink...:drunk:

I've opened a few bottles now, for testing purposes only of course, and it has carbed up a lot more. Infact it's a bloody lovely drop!!
Those last few days with raised temp then a couple of days refrigeration have finished it off really well.
So in the future I'm going to prime my whole batch rather than use prime drops and I'll be more vigilant about maintaing respectable temps when I've bottled.
Thanks again guys.

2 Things

1. Minimum of 3 weeks --- want better beer.... wait 5 weeks

2. Don't use a frosted glass for home/craft beer --- even at a bar it adds an inside the freezer taste. Just a clean glass ----

Back