other uses for the beer fridge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packman715

Reaction score
I just made 5 pounds of pepperoni and salami from elk/venision. I am dry aging the salami in the fridge for a few weeks.

DSC00499.jpg

Is that dry cured or cooked salami? from the looks of it i think its cooked! anyway nice multitasker. :rockin:

My keezer usually houses a variety of bottled beer and anything from thanksgiving turkey to dozens of eggs or whatever else we have stocked up on. It's really handy actually

Lookin good on the sausages hangin... Not to be a kill joy, but you should consider putting a chain around that cylinder to keep a possible disaster from happening. I made a few pounds of Greek Loukinikos sausages today and after I smoke them Sunday I plan to put them in my keezer and let them finish ageing and drying at around 55 degrees. I already have a few pounds of Salami/Pepper Jack cheese ageing in there with a slow lager already. Should be an excelent Valentines day if everything works just right......
Wheelchair Bob

I have carboy that is empty with water vapor in it with temps up and down. winter has been wierd here in northern Wisconsin.

The salami is smoked at about 200 for six hours then hung 1.5 weeks unitil it felt dry. so far impartial review are "when you making more so I can have some".

Recipie for Salami:

3.5 lbs elk and venison gound fine
1.5 lbs pork ground medium
1 cup dry red wine
3 cloves garlic
2 tbls mustard seed.
1 tbls corse black pepper
1 tsp onion powder.
2 tbls sugar
2 tsp salt.
1/2 tsp pink cure stuff.

stuff in casings and let sit in fridge 24 hours

smoke at 200 to 250 for 6 hours
hang in 40 deg frig for 2 weeks or unil hard to touch.

I age cheese rounds in my keezer too. I set the keezer for mid lagering temps and it is just right for cheese and sausages too. Once they age off a bit and the brew is done lagering I just turn the temp down to about 40 and serve directly from the box. Nothing quite like drawing a brew and grabbing some salami and cheese to go with..... Ok I'm hungry now, gotta taste soem brisket...
Wheelchair Bob.

Recipie for Salami:

3.5 lbs elk and venison gound fine
1.5 lbs pork ground medium
1 cup dry red wine
3 cloves garlic
2 tbls mustard seed.
1 tbls corse black pepper
1 tsp onion powder.
2 tbls sugar
2 tsp salt.
1/2 tsp pink cure stuff.

stuff in casings and let sit in fridge 24 hours

smoke at 200 to 250 for 6 hours
hang in 40 deg frig for 2 weeks or unil hard to touch.

hey Packman, looks good man!! one question tho, does this recipe make the four salamis we see in the fridge? and what size and kind of casings did you use if ya don't mind me askin. i actually bought a fridge to do this right before i got into brewing, but the beer took precedence. i now have a freezer for my beer and an empty fridge that needs meat!!!!!!

hey Packman, looks good man!! one question tho, does this recipe make the four salamis we see in the fridge? and what size and kind of casings did you use if ya don't mind me askin. i actually bought a fridge to do this right before i got into brewing, but the beer took precedence. i now have a freezer for my beer and an empty fridge that needs meat!!!!!!

You should turn that empty fridge in a curing chamber for sausage and meat. I have a small dorm fridge that use for making cured sausages like chorizo and salamis and other cured meats. Its almost as fun as brewing!!

There are actually five hanging but one is hidden by the angle. I used Lem fibourous casing 1 1/2" x 12". web site on package is www.lemproducts.com . I get mine at Fleet Farm, an everything store here in northern WI. There was about 1/2 lb left over that I rolled in a log with plastic wrap using a techinque I saw on Iron chef. Make tight log by hand put in plastic wrap and tighten it up by rolling on counter top.

hope that helps

You should turn that empty fridge in a curing chamber for sausage and meat. I have a small dorm fridge that use for making cured sausages like chorizo and salamis and other cured meats. Its almost as fun as brewing!!

I agree is it great knowing how and where your food comes from. Smoking fish is another great hobby.:mug: fire, meat, beer you can never go wrong.:tank:

Very Nice, been brewing a few years, have an extra fridge, been getting into the sausage making lately. This looks very much like my fridge will look in a couple weeks.

Dude, I have the same exact fridge....runs like a champ and works very well with the controller.

Back