Surly Furious clone - kegging help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrakis

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm about to keg this batch today. This beer was dry hopped with like 6 oz of pellet hops. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for kegging this batch with the least amount of hop particles. I ran into problems before with a dry hopped beer in my kegging system. The dip tube kept getting clogged. I did see that some people use paint strainer bags on either the in or out portion of the auto siphon. Does this work? Any pictures? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It works. A fine mesh brew bag would also work (check your LHBS). Use it to line the inside of the keg then place your "out" portion of your auto siphon hose at the bottom, inside the bag. Siphon normally, then gently lift out the bag when you're done.

Alternatively, gently submerge the bag in your fermenter and put the "in" side of the auto siphon in the center of the bag. I'd probably do this method as it seems like lifting the bag out of the keg would cause a little more splashing and runoff than i'd like. The hops trub is going to have absorbed a good bit of beer and when lifting the bag out, will cause splashes and trickles of beer as it drains back out. I'd rather lose a little bit of beer in the fermenter to this than splash around the beer in the keg.

I guess I should have added that it is in a glass carboy. How would I do the latter step that you mentioned? I thought about attaching the bag to the racking cane, leaving a little slack. But won't it just get clogged.

If you have a way to do it, crash cool the car boy down to like 34°F. All the pellet mush will drop to the bottom within a couple of days. Then sanitize a rubber band and a square of nylon hop bag and use them over the tip of your siphon and rack to your keg...

Cheers!

Whenever I dry hop, I just rack with a sanitized paint strainer bag over my siphon in the carboy. The paint strainer bags just poke out the top of 6.5 gallon carboys and are easy peasy. I've never had a clogged dip tube in a keg and never find anything when I'm done but a spot of yeast (I carb with 2 oz corn sugar in the keg, usually...) and drops of beer. Works well for me.

Spray 'em out when your done and hang to dry. Sanitize and repeat.

No worries.

BSD

I just did the same kit and kegged it about 3-4 days ago. I ziptied a brew bag to the "in" end of my autosiphon and it worked great. I boiled both the bag and ziptie to sanitize. It was a tight fit getting the autosiphon with the bag on it into the mouth of the glass carboy but it worked.

I just did the same kit and kegged it about 3-4 days ago. I ziptied a brew bag to the "in" end of my autosiphon and it worked great. I boiled both the bag and ziptie to sanitize. It was a tight fit getting the autosiphon with the bag on it into the mouth of the glass carboy but it worked.

I wonder....could I just star san the tie and bag instead of boiling?

Let me know how this clone turns out. Do you have the recipe posted? I love surly but dont live in mn anymore :-(
oh and boiling bag/siphon or a beer filter will work just fine fore you.

doomXsaloon said:
I used the NB kit....you can get the recipe off their website:)

Except for the dry hop blend...doesnt list what the blend is or the amount of each besides that the final weight is 8oz

When I get to dry hopping my Furious, I have a grain bag sterilized and ready to go. I get it started into the carboy, then weigh it down with decorative glass pieces (marbles) then get the hops put in the grain bag. I tie it off with a piece of sanitized string and drop the whole bag down into the carboy and drape the string out the top and put my stopper and air lock back on the carboy. This way all the hops are contained and out of the way when I get to racking into the keg, after the 6 days.

I will post the clone recipe I use in the recipe area.

Back