pitching at 90 °F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkmastiff

Reaction score
Hi this weekend i make an oatmeal stout beer using the yeast safale s04 i do my starter but at the time thah i pitching the wort is about 90°F i don´t know is that can be make a trouble with the beer if this is the case what suggested to improve it?

This is a bit high and may cause some fusel alcohol production which can cause a harsh taste; how much of a harsh taste depends on your yeasts lag time. Put it in a cold place and try and get the temp down as quick as you can.

You're going to get off flavors,since your pitch temp was so high. Get the temp down,& let it finish. Give it a week or two on the yeast cake to let it clean that stuff up.

How long did it sit at 90F? If for just few hours, I don't see any issues with that, as long as you cooled it to normal ferment temps (65 to 70F) for the main fermentation period.

How long did it sit at 90F? If for just few hours, I don't see any issues with that, as long as you cooled it to normal ferment temps (65 to 70F) for the main fermentation period.

+1

I've done it a few times without any issue.

True,if it comes down by the time the yeast become visually active. Mine didn't that 1st time. I thought maybe his did,since he didn't say but was concerned.

+2

Yeast, especially saccharomyces love 30C temp. It's not optimal for beer, but the yeast will be swimming around happily having an orgy and peeing in the pool. It is their natural temp to grow at.

Its just not optimal for fermenting beer.

Thanks to all for the comments actually the temp of 90°F was only at the pitching one hour later the temp of the wort is around 70°F and this temperature is constant since that, i really hope that i don´t have any problem with the beer

In that case,no you should be fine. The yeast would be in the early reproductive stage. They have to reproduce in sufficient numbers to visibly start fermenting your wort.

Latest posts

Back