Autosiphon used to drain a fish pond...toss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxofRain

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was in a jam and needed to drain one of those small fiberglass outdoor fish pond and used my autosiphon. (I know, I know...) Anyway. Should I toss it and buy a new siphon and hose or should I give them a good soak in oxyclean then starsan? It's not really the cost...it's the trip to the brew shop I'm trying to avoid.

Does the risk of ruining a batch or two or three of beer outweigh the hassle of going to the LHBS or ordering from Midwest?

Do you realize the autosiphon is used so that you don't have to suck with your mouth to produce a siphon, which may contaminate your wort? Or did you use it as a pump? Because that must have taken a long time to drain a fish pond....

Sounds like folks are forgetting simple things, like how to siphon without a gadget? Seriously. Just fill the hose with water. Plug both ends, fingers work. Drop the first end into the pond and release your finger. Drop the second where ever. Release second finger. Lots of variations on how to do this of course.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Needed an immediate pump, had no GRAVITY to help out. Autosiphon worked great as a pump. Just curious about the effects.

BigB set me straight, a new autosiphon is in the mail. Thanks to everyone for your opinion. Especially BigB.

Rich

No gravity? where the hell were you? deep space? GRAVITY IS EVERYWHERE! as long as the exit point of the hose is lower than the water surface you are draining it'll go.

No gravity? where the hell were you? deep space? GRAVITY IS EVERYWHERE! as long as the exit point of the hose is lower than the water surface you are draining it'll go.

LOL....exit point was higher. Thanks for the smile.

Back