Small batch SMASH Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeedaman21

Reaction score
I'm doing 8 different 1 gallon SMASH batches with the exact same recipe in each, but different hops in order to familiarize myself with the flavors/aroma. My question though is how I should arrange the hops bill. Should I use the same amount of hops in every one (1oz) with the same schedule in each even though the alpha rates are all very different? Or should I tailor each recipe so they all have the same IBU (which would have more/less hops in some)? Thanks for the help!

For a bittering addition, I'd do it based on IBUs to keep bitterness somewhat consistent. For a flameout aroma addition, I'd do it by weight to see the relative amount of aroma from the same amount of hops. I'm not really sure about other late additions, though.

Alright, 7 one gallon pale ales with 35 IBU of bittering and .75oz of flavor hops at flame out with the following:

Cascade
Willamette
Galena
Nugget
Centennial
Chinook
Millennium

Just have to buy the extra airlocks and small buckets this week! Will post recipe details and tasting notes when there done in a month or so.

I would definitely agree with Shane. With the bittering hop, you won't have much taste if any from the hops. Additions in the last 20 minutes will definitely help you identify the differences in aroma/taste.

Good luck, I would love to do this, but I just don't have the room or the equipment.

Sounds good; share your notes after your finished!

Just curious, though, why .75oz instead of just a whole oz?

Sounds good; share your notes after your finished!

Just curious, though, why .75oz instead of just a whole oz?

I'm guessing because he's only doing 1 gallon batches. 0.75 oz is equal to a 3.75 oz addition in 5 gallons while 1 oz is 5 oz, that quarter oz is a huge difference when considering the small batch size.

I am not a seasoned brewer at all, only 6 ag batches in. But I started with small batches and just remember the hops didn't go in an exact ratio with size. An example is .5 oz in one gallon did not effect it like 2.5 oz does to 5 gallons

I think my project might be on hold considering that my original source for the smaller buckets charges ridiculous prices... And ideas on how to get seven 2-3.5 gallon buckets with lid for less that $40? I still have to buy all the extra airlocks and such, that added to my already small college budget means I may just brew a Weissbier until more funds open up later. If anyone know of a good source for cheaper buckets, i'm all ears!

For the aroma hops, I was going to add it during the last 5 minutes. Should I stick with the .75 oz amount or drop it down to .5 oz? I am trying to stay within the realm of a BJCP American Pale Ale category, and already have 35 IBU of bittering hops.

The only places I've seen food grade buckets that small charge about $5 a bucket. You can use the standard lid for these. I have three 3.5 buckets for my new recipes and test batches.

BTW, I did the same thing you did, but made half batches (2.75 gallons). I shot for the same OG and IBU for each one. I also used the same yeast.

Here's the recipe I used.

2.75 gallon batch

5.25 # 2-Row
0.5 # C40
Mashed at 156 (batch sparge w/mash out)
*shooting for an OG of about 1.055

~3 AAU @ 60 min
~2 AAU @ 15 min and 5 min
Same amount as 5 minute addition @0 and DH
*shooting for around 35 IBU

HTH

Hmm, well I might do three at a time then! How much yeast do you pitch for the half batches? Do I need an entire packet for each, or should I just do a starter and divide from there?

I have so many hops that I don't what to do with them! Hmmm, maybe hop chocolate.

Go to walmart bakery. They get icing in the 2-3 gallon pales that are food grade identical to one ordered. Just drill a hole for the grommet.

I'm planning on doing something very similar, except brewed at the 1 gal batch size. Using 4L wine bottles as my fermenting vessels. I also decided that while AG is fun, this is easier to do with extract. My basic strategy will be enough DME to get a 1.050 OG (about 1.1 lbs), 2 oz of 40L amber for steeping, and 5 HBUs of hops, split equally into 60, 15, 5 and dry hop additions.

If you use dry yeast (I love Safale US-05 and will be using it here), you can measure out precise amounts to pitch. Check JZ's pitch calculator to figure out how much dry yeast you need per batch.

Back