Nottingham yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyt471

Reaction score
I heard there was a recall for Nottingham yeast...but Midwest and Northern Brewer still sell it on their website. Should I be worried about buying it?

I heard the same thing from my LHBS two weeks ago....but the guy told me that the recall was complete and that Nottingham had replaced all of his recalled stock.

His main gripe was that he had to replace the Notty packet by packet in all his kits that used Notty.

He mentioned that the problem was that the yeast took a very long time to start and that once it started it didn't ferment out.

Ok. My LHBS didn't have any because of the recall, they said. Maybe the store owner was just lazy in reordering more.

FYI I used Notty this weekend purchased from my LHBS and use Notty almost exclusively and have purchased it with no issues throughout the year.

Just curious, but does anyone know the reason for the recall. I recently made Orfys mild, and used Notty in it. I pitched the yeast, had krausen, then it fell within 12 hours, this at 65 degrees. Either this beer fermented out really fast, or my Notty died. I will take a gravity reading tonight, but that doesn't seem right.

I used notty in my stout, the bubbling went for about 36 hours and stalled out. I did have a krausen, but that also dissappeared. I did rack it to a secondary and the past few days I see nothing happening.

Here is a quote from this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/bad-bad-notty-199546/

"October 6, 2010

Over the last few weeks we have received several inquiries from homebrewers regarding Nottingham lot #1080961099V exp. date 12/2011 stating that they were experiencing slow start of fermentation and/or poor fermentation performance. Internal tests conducted on a cross-section of sachets of this batch over several weeks have indicated normal performance, but given the widespread geographical nature of the comments being received, we feel it is best to ask retailers and distributors to return any inventory of this specific batch rather than risk brewers having a negative experience with our products. "

That is great, but what to do if we used that strain and have issues?

I used a bucket as a primary and let is do it's thing. I did not open it until I put it the secondary. In the secondary it has no head at all and see very few bubbles. It was in the primary for 10 days.

That is great, but what to do if we used that strain and have issues?

I used a bucket as a primary and let is do it's thing. I did not open it until I put it the secondary. In the secondary it has no head at all and see very few bubbles. It was in the primary for 10 days.

Did you take a gravity reading? You can tell if fermentation took place and how well it attenuated by seeing if you hit your target FG. If it did not ferment, maybe you could throw another packet in. If there are fermentables left you should be able to kick start it. Can't hurt. Better then dumping I would say. At least you can give it another shot with healthy yeast cells.

Also, I usually see very little activity in my secondary, except maybe some CO2 release from the airlock. Doesn't necessarily mean that it is stuck. It probably finished off in primary. Take a gravity reading it should give you a better shot at seeing if you hit the FG.

Yes, I had a proper drop in gravity. Guess I am another worried newbie. I have followed the instructions to the T, except I am letting my brew ferment longing as suggested here on the forums.

Yes, I had a proper drop in gravity. Guess I am another worried newbie. I have followed the instructions to the T, except I am letting my brew ferment longing as suggested here on the forums.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry then. You know what they say RDWAHAHB. :mug:
Trust me, I spent many of my first batches worrying that something went wrong and everyone, with the exception of an IPA I did, came out great. Come to think of it I still worry. I think I need to RDWAHAHB. :drunk:

Got a problem with RDWAHAHB, my first batch is a month away from being ready. So I will just keep worrying and taking the great advice I get here.

Just my opinion. . .Don't fear the Notty. There have been many reports with specific lots having problems (none of those lots currently in the retail channel.) Quite a few home brewers have sworn off Nottingham.

But the benefits: Ferments quickly and fully to a nice clean taste, drops out & compacts in the fermenter for a very clear transfer, and it's one of the most economical yeasts out there.

My advice is re-hydrate (don't pitch dry.) Within minutes it should have a wholesome "bread like" yeast smell. . . pitch it!

Just my opinion. . .Don't fear the Notty. There have been many reports with specific lots having problems (none of those lots currently in the retail channel.) Quite a few home brewers have sworn off Nottingham.

But the benefits: Ferments quickly and fully to a nice clean taste, drops out & compacts in the fermenter for a very clear transfer, and it's one of the most economical yeasts out there.

My advice is re-hydrate (don't pitch dry.) Within minutes it should have a wholesome "bread like" yeast smell. . . pitch it!
+1 I agree. I love Notty. I think it is a nice clean yeast attenuates well, and is cheaper then liquid. Unless you are doing a specialty beer (hefeweizen for example), that depends on flavors produced by yeast fermentation, Notty is the way to go.

Just checked my packet of notty and it is the same lot number of those supposedly affected so these packets are or were in retail. Glad I checked this thread!

Gravity readings are best but remember, too, Nottingham, like S-04 from Fermentis, can finish in 3-4 days when at the right (65) temperature. It also flocculates very well at the end of fermentation, so if you have a ton of yeast at the bottom of your fermenter, it's likely finished.

I pitched Notty last night on a bells 2 hearted clone...wish I'd of heard about this earlier! However, my temp is already up which is a good sign...no airlock activity though.

Latest posts

Back