How to get Pliny the Elder over here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So I posted this on another thread but I am wondering about Pliny the Elder. I have been to Cali now many times and I always make it a point to have a few Pliny the Elder's. I love the stuff. Thing is many people here on the east coast cant get it. I have a good friend that would love a 12 pack or case of it.

So I would either be able to set up a beer swap (meaning I can send you anything from over here on the east coast, like great stuff you have never heard of). I could also just pay for the cost of the beer and shipping.

If anyone out there in Cali can help me out would be great.

Thank you

If you don't find a trader here on HBT, there is a very active trading community over on beer advocate. I also wanted to try Pliny, but obviously could not find it anywhere on the east coast. This past summer I ended up trading with an enthusiast in CA -- a bunch of Pliny and other unique west coast IPAs for a bunch of Smuttynose, Dogfish and other east coast IPAs. Here are the folks that have Pliny in their "gots" list:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/trade/7971/?show=G

The closest distributor to us is in Philly .Someone found it on tap just outside of Quakertown PA . I am going to be there in August I am hoping they have it in bottles so I can bring some home.

@BrianTheBrewer - I am in CT about 90 minutes from you. I have never had one of these myself. But, if you want to send me an e-mail, maybe we can make some arrangements to get some shipped from Cali over to the East Coast.

The closest distributor to us is in Philly .Someone found it on tap just outside of Quakertown PA . I am going to be there in August I am hoping they have it in bottles so I can bring some home.

No bottles of Pliny shipped to PA by RR. Many of the others, yes.

If you're going to be 'round this area on the 28th I believe Younger and Elder are going to be making an appearance.

So I posted this on another thread but I am wondering about Pliny the Elder. I have been to Cali now many times and I always make it a point to have a few Pliny the Elder's. I love the stuff. Thing is many people here on the east coast cant get it. I have a good friend that would love a 12 pack or case of it.

So I would either be able to set up a beer swap (meaning I can send you anything from over here on the east coast, like great stuff you have never heard of). I could also just pay for the cost of the beer and shipping.

If anyone out there in Cali can help me out would be great.

Thank you

Brian, I have a 22 oz bottle of the ELder in my fridge right now.. I dont like the stuff so I wont drink it. They sell it at a bunch of supermarkets where I live (santa rosa- home of the russian river brew co). Send me a PM and we can work something out.

Old thread I know.

If anyone wants to trade some yeast samples for evaluation, I really want to evaluate some Pliney the Elder. I plan on brewing it but the real thing would be a good inspiration.

I talked with a guy from a local craft beer and wine store and he said that in order for them to stock bottles they have to first earn a reputation with the distributor by ordering kegs etc. There was some other stuff involved with it as well. It sounded like an annoying process just to get some beer...

I know what you mean. I was just in PA and couldn't find Pliney anywhere. I did find 1 bar that had an untapped keg. I practically begged the owner to tap it and fill up a few growlers. He said he was holding on to it for a special tapping event. He too said that Pliney was rationed accordingly to how much of their Belgian beers you sold. Also that he never gets it in bottles.

It was in Quakertown, PA if anyone is near there.

I know what you mean. I was just in PA and couldn't find Pliney anywhere. I did find 1 bar that had an untapped keg. I practically begged the owner to tap it and fill up a few growlers. He said he was holding on to it for a special tapping event. He too said that Pliney was rationed accordingly to how much of their Belgian beers you sold. Also that he never gets it in bottles.

It was in Quakertown, PA if anyone is near there.

15 -20 minutes west of Qtown, Ortino's Northside has it on tap right now.

Pope in Philadelphia too.

I bring back bottles every time I go home to visit family. This last time I was amazed at what they were charging per bottle. I think I paid $7 a bottle at Hi-Times. BevMo had it in stock the previous visit for under $5 but it was near impossible to find this last time. I took Hi-Times' last two bottles....

I tried PLE last month after one of my engineers took a business trip to Petaluma. He went to RR and brought back a bottle for me. It definitely feels like sticking a fistfull of hops right into your mouth. For me......and I love hops.....it felt like it was "work" drinking this beer. I think it was the combination of high alcohol and high hop content. Not sure, because I tried Avery Dungana while I was in Baltimore and I loved it. I appreciate PLE for what it is, but it wasn't for me.

15 -20 minutes west of Qtown, Ortino's Northside has it on tap right now.

Pope in Philadelphia too.

Ooooo, I was so close. The bar owner that I was talking with was kind enough to call around for me to see if any place nearby had it. I guess it's impossible to think of every bar in the area.

He did turn me on to Idiot IPA from Coronado Brewery in CA. I can't get that in my area either. It is a pretty decent Imperial IPA itself.

Back