wheat beer/hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Hey everyone....

A good buddy of mine is looking to get into brewing, I like to think my homebrew is a good chunk of the reason. Anyway, he's a big fan of wheat beers/hefes. A local brew pub makes one he really likes, Crop Circle Wheat from the Great Dane Brew Pubs. His birthday is coming up and his wife asked me to go with her to the LHBS and buy the ingredients for a batch that him and I would brew with my equipment. I'm not the world's biggest wheat/hefe fan, they're not bad, just not my fav. With that said, I never have brewed one or made a recipe for one. I hashed this out, please let me know what you think:

Brewer: Justin Sieglaff Email: -
Beer: - Style: Weizen/Weissbier
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5.25 gallons
Color: 6 HCU (~5 SRM)
Bitterness: 14 IBU
OG: 1.054 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.7% v/v (4.5% w/w)

Grain: 1 lb. American crystal 20L (steep)
Extract: 6 lb. Dry Wheat extract
Hops: 1 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 10 min.)
Yeast: Wyeast 3068 (3638 if that isn't in or 1010 as a last resort)

My biggest concerns are the crystal and the aroma hop addition. I wanted to include some crystal just to 'freshen' up the beer a little and also show how to steep. I know he likes hops so I thought a little noble hop aroma might be nice. The beer is on the stronger end of range, but I'm fine with that.

I think there some elements in this beer that fall into a german hefe block and others that are more american wheat beer block, I'm not concerned with staying to any certain style, just making a tasty beer.

Thanks for the input!

:mug:

If you want a simple German-style HW I'd recommend dropping the crystal, using only the bittering hops and switch that to Hallertau instead of Saaz, and using a German yeast. Can't get much simpler than that.:D

Back