Not done fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have in my primary a AHS American Ale - Extract kit I brewed almost 4 weeks ago. The problem I have is that it seems I got a stuck fermentation. I have been monitoring the beer's FG and over 2 weeks it hasn't changed a bit from 1.020 (it is supposed to be around 1.013). I have had it in about 70-72 degrees F... and I have moved the primary around many times to get the yeast back into suspension. The yeast I used was Nottingham Windsor Ale (Dry Yeast). I plan on moving this brew to secondary for a couple of weeks before kegging it, but I was wondering if I should still leave it a bit longer in primary? At the passe it's going it seems it will take forever. Any suggestions?

I was grasping, it is one of the problems with kits. Sounds like you did everything right.

I was grasping, it is one of the problems with kits. Sounds like you did everything right.

Yeah, I'm thinking about just sending it to secondary... I have this other kit from AHS I really want to brew, but I need the fermenter... But it's to bad, 1.020 seems to high =/ If it was a stout maybe it wouldn't be as bad, but this is just an Amber Ale...

Four weeks in primary? Same gravity for two weeks? Sounds like it's done to me. May end up being the best you've brewed! Go ahead and transfer and pick up a little bit of the stuff that has settled out when you do. It's probably done but if you swirl some of the yeast back in and leave it for a couple weeks in secondary you may drop a few more points. Ambers, IMO, are hard to judge because the color could come from a ton of crystal malts which would lower the attenuation. A recipe would definately help and the more advanced brewers would probably chime in.

A recipe would definately help and the more advanced brewers would probably chime in.

This is what this brew has:

Specialty Grains:
1/2 lb. 2-Row
1/2 lb. 90L Crystal
1/2 lb. 10L Crystal

Liquid Malt Extract:
5 lb. Munich
2 lb. Extra Pale

Hops:
Bittering = 1 oz. Amarillo
Flavor = 1/2 oz. Amarillo
Aroma = 1/2 oz. Amarillo

Yeast:
Nottingham Windsor Ale (Dry Yeast)

Hope this helps. :)

There is a good bit of crystal and Windsor is a low attenuating yeast.

I might be wrong, but a yeast that is low attenuating practically means it takes longer to settle? Thus the beer stays a bit cloudy for a while... But does that affect in anyway the FG of the beer? Also, does the crystal malt also contribute to the gravity as well?

I might be wrong, but a yeast that is low attenuating practically means it takes longer to settle? Thus the beer stays a bit cloudy for a while... But does that affect in anyway the FG of the beer? Also, does the crystal malt also contribute to the gravity as well?

A low flocculating yeast takers longer to settle. Attenuation is how much of the sugar the yeast eats

what temp are you fermenting?

For the most part I would say it has averaged at 70 F... But it has been changing from 68-72 F... right now it's at about 68 F (it's been a bit cooler today)...

Its the 1.020 curse!! I have had a couple of brews I couldn't get below 1.020, but I bottled anyway, and you know what.. It taste great, and still gets me way too drunk if I drink too many!!

Back