Mixing ale yeast and lager yeast- will it work???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
Trying to make a bock with a lager yeast and some belgian ale yeast. is it possible?

Well, lager yeast strains ferment in the low 50s typically, which would put your Belgian strain to sleep. If you ferment at the Belgian ale yeast temps, you'd get some nasty flavors from the lager yeast at a higher temperature. I'm not sure if you could ferment it partially with the Belgian strain, then lower the temperature and pitch the lager yeast, though.

What are you trying to achieve by mixing them?

Well, lager yeast strains ferment in the low 50s typically, which would put your Belgian strain to sleep. If you ferment at the Belgian ale yeast temps, you'd get some nasty flavors from the lager yeast at a higher temperature. I'm not sure if you could ferment it partially with the Belgian strain, then lower the temperature and pitch the lager yeast, though.

What are you trying to achieve by mixing them?

well, nothing exactly. i have some yeast from the newest troeg's scratch series which is a yeast blend of saison dupot and la chouffe, so i wanted to throw that into a rauchbock i will be making. just a crazy thought.

...which was AWESOME.

How did you score that?

i thought it to be very good, although a little harsh. maybe after a few months in the bottle it will smooth out. really looking forward to the next scratch beer coming out this friday- double espresso oatmeal stout.:ban:

Back