Clarifying effects of chipotle peppers on mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoutela

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to convert the remaining 3 gallons of my sweet mead (still not clear after 6 months), into my new favorite sipper, chipotle mead.

Here is an example of the clarification effects chipotles have on mead.
This same result happened in only 8 hours with my initial 1-gallon experimental batch.

At time of dropping in chipotles
image-2.jpg

24 hours later
image-3.jpg

48 hours later
image-4.jpg

Well I'd say that clearing effect is less of an issue than the oxidation damage that can occur with that amount of head space, unless its been flooded with CO2. ....

But yes I've had similar drop out of sediment when a recipe has been changed at the same stage......

Well I'd say that clearing effect is less of an issue than the oxidation damage that can occur with that amount of head space, unless its been flooded with CO2. ....

But yes I've had similar drop out of sediment when a recipe has been changed at the same stage......

Yes, carboy was flooded with CO2 after pulling my two one-gallon samples.

What kind of additions have you made to your meads that awarded the same results? And what kind of timeframe would you say it took to completely clear?

Oh, I've had this 3 times, with black currant and elderberry post ferment addition but also when I was a bit over eager with back sweetening, and then hit the batch with acid, tannin and brandy fortification. That last one cleared in about 36 hours and it dropped a lot of sediment (about 2 inches deep in a 1 gallon jug).

Back