Transplanting hops in May?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My son is moving from Nebraska to Arkansas in mid May, and is interested in growing hops there. My initial plan was to have him transport some of my plants. I kind of overdid it here, with 23 plants growing, so I could spare some. Most of them are taking off now, with bines a foot or more long already. I suspect there will be too much to the plants to haul if we try transporting them in a month. Has anyone tried this?

The other thought I had was to bury some of the shoots coming up, and see if they will set roots, in effect making rhizomes that might be less daunting to transport. Again, I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences in similar circumstances.

The other thought I had was to bury some of the shoots coming up, and see if they will set roots, in effect making rhizomes that might be less daunting to transport. Again, I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences in similar circumstances.

The shoots coming up will definitely throw some roots out if you bury them. I'd dig a trench about 4-5 inches deep, bend them down and throw the soil back on top of them. In a few days(week maybe) the growing tip will most likely begin to poke out of the soil - if it doesn't don't worry. What you're trying to do is delay emergence until you can chop it off and move it. Continue to dig and throw the soil on top until your move is near and then just stick a spade into the soil where it's coming off of the crown and send it on it's way. As long as it's growing underground, that portion will basically turn into a rhizome and will easily transplant. Good luck and let us know how you fare. Also, depending on how old the crowns are, you could probably get away with just whacking off all the top growth and digging them up at the time of the move. If they've been growing well for you and are in their 3rd or so year of growth there's usually plenty of juice stored up in that crown to withstand the move. Give it a go with one that you have to spare.

My question is that I have a three year old plant that has about 6-8 shoots coming off of it at this point. It is in a large terra cotta pot and I think it may need some trimming this year and a few new bags of soil.

Is it too late to do the trimming with the sprouts already up?

Thanks in advance!

My question is that I have a three year old plant that has about 6-8 shoots coming off of it at this point. It is in a large terra cotta pot and I think it may need some trimming this year and a few new bags of soil.

Thanks in advance!

There are alot who say trim all of the 1st growth off(i believe the pro's do this). I usually do not but you should be alright.

Thanks in advance!

No. Think about it. The guys out PNW have thousands of crowns in acres and acres of hopyards to prune every spring. Do you think they go out and gently remove the new growth one plant at a time? They take implements similar 'flail' mowers and grind the tops of the hills off. Then fly up and down and between rows with discs to cut the edges back. These plants get abused.

As a home grower, we treat our crowns like big babies! These weeds will take a lot more abuse than any one of us would ever consider inflicting on them. It's not too late.

Back