Fermentation Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasfgeary

Reaction score
I have fermenting my last several batches at about 76-77 degrees. Is this to high? I live in an apartment and I have very little contol of the temp where my primary is stored. Any suggestions on lowering the temp?:confused:

Yes, that is too high for any "regular" ales I can think of. There are some yeast that do better at high temperatures, though, but usually not that high. You can look up the yeast on the manufacturer's website, and they'll give you the scoop on the temperature. For example, Nottingham will work between like 57 degrees and 72 degrees. One of the concerns, though, is that once fermentation gets going, it's always warmer inside the fermenter than ambient temperature. I use those cheap "stick on" thermometers to get an idea of temperature.

There are several things you can do. Lots of people do swamp coolers- a bucket of water with the fermenter stuck in it, and a tshirt over the fermenter to wick up the water and then a fan blowing on it. I have an igloo cooler set up (see my gallery for pictures) and use frozen water bottles and water to regulate the temperature. Some people use fridges or freezers with an external temperature control even.

I think temperature control is the one best thing I did to make better beer.

I am in a small city apartement and don't have enough room for any of the larger ideas you mentioned. Maybe I will try the cooler with ice water.

I've had good success with my beers so far brewing at 72F ambient - definitely on the high side (fermenting box is in the works). I can say that the 1214 Belgian Abbey yeast does particularly well at the higher temps, but the banana esters are strong! My whole living room smelled like a Chiquita factory. The Belgian yeasts seem to be fairly tolerant of higher temps.

"Temperature Range: 68-78° F"

The Belgian Saison in particular, 70-95F, 21-35C.
"This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 sg. Fermentation will eventually finish, given time and warm temperatures."

it's funny you mention that - I just started another Belgian tripel a week or so ago, and used 1214 - I'm just letting it ferment at our ambient house temp (about 75)

and you could flag down a troop of monkeys with the smell coming out of that carboy... i came home from work and my first thought was that SWMBO was baking banana bread.

:ban:

but yeah, Belgian yeasts like the high temps, the rest of the time I use the ol' Igloo cooler with frozen water bottles method. Works very well. You control the temp by how often you replace the frozen water bottles.

Changing them once a day keeps my brews at about 62.

Apparently then I am a lucky duck. Our inside ambient temp. is usually around 60-65. good for beer. bad for us in the cooler months. ::laughs::

Latest posts

Back